pickups-geddy model

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve-gan, Aug 11, 2002.

1. steve-gan

Aug 6, 2002
    steve here--new member. i concede ignorance in knowledge of my instument. i read that the standard pickups on the geedy lee model jazz, buzz unless turned all the way up, this in fact is true, however i truly love this bass--couldn't afford the original. my question is would it benefit me to replace these pickups with american made pickups. this bass was made in japan, as well as the hardware. will i get a better sound? the purest fender sound is what i desire. don't handle with kid gloves guys---if this is stupid, please tell me. thanks for the honesty.
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    The Geddy Lee uses Fender "Original" pickups. I guess these pickups are american made. If you want to get rid of the noise you'll have to buy hum-cancelling pickups by other makers (Bartolini, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan). Of course you'll never have exactly the same "pure fender" tone...

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are american made pickups. I love the sound of mine. I see no need in replacing them, unless you absolutely need noiseless pickups. If you go with noiseless, you will lose the true single coil tone, that's the tradeoff.

Mine only hum audibly in really bad rooms, and then it is not noticeable when you are playing.