Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups' height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CrazyArcher, Aug 17, 2004.

1. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    This was probably discussed here, but I havent found anything... However: what is the optimal height of the pickups? I know that if they are too low, the sound would be poor, and if they are too high, the sound would be annoying. I believe it can be adjusted by hearing, but however - any suggegstions?

Another question is if both pickups are to have the same height, or one should be higher than the other? I'm talking of 2 pickups mounted diagonally, like this:
    |o|___
    |o|___
    |o|___
    |o||o|
    ___|o|
    ___|o|
    ___|o|

Note: the underscores are not supposed to symbolize strings!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not following the diagonal thing but I've always raised the pups till I don't drive the strings into them (yes passive pups too). I leave them there unless they distort at which point I drop them till they don't. I treat both pups independently the same way unless there's a volume issue that can't be adequately compensated for with controls. Then I'll drop a pup till they balance (rarely an issue for me cause I favor the bridge pup).

Few months back I was skimming over the Sadowsky or Fralin site where the same procedure was suggested. They also said the pups would sound louder the closer they are (no suprise there). But seems they also said the further away the better they'd sound. That struck me a bit odd and can't say as I agree with that unless they're distorting when too close.