1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups in 2007 Japan made Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kyllsa, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kyllsa

Kyllsa

Mar 23, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hello all.

I just got a Japan-made Geddy Lee jazz bass from 2007, and everything I have ever heard about Japanese fenders is very true - this is a beautifully built bass. Does anyone know which pickups would have come in the bass from Fender? They sound pretty good - definitely have that Jazz bite - but they're also noisy (I can shield them) and while good, they're not great. I ask because, due to a miscalculation involving a Squier some time ago, I have a Seymour Duncan STK-2JN that is sitting new, in its package, looking at me, and I am basically trying to decide whether or not to purchase the matching bridge pickup and install them, or just stick with what I have... so yeah.

What would y'all do, in my place?

K

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Rickenbacker Enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Should be the US Vintage Jazz pickups in there.
    I would shield them & call it a day.

I also have a Japanese Geddy (2002), and I think it sounds even better than my AVRI '75 Jazz Bass.
    It's my one Jazz bass that I wouldn't change a thing on.

3. 025-7702-506 Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    002-0906-000 PICKUP RHYTHM VINT J BASS
    002-0908-000 PICKUP LEAD VINT JAZZ BASS

searching this part number shows these are 62 RI vintage jazz

superdick2112 likes this.
  4. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    My 2004 had the Fender Original Jazz pickup set. You can tell if the poles are beveled. Yes they are better than average, but, after trying several high end sets, the Nordstrand 70's wind was the set that kept it sounding like a Geddy but balanced and more present than the stock units. I'd stay away from the higher gain or different magnets as they make the instrument sound less Geddy

5. Kyllsa

Kyllsa

Mar 23, 2017
    Netherlands
    Thank you guys so much! The information on the part numbers is helpful, as is the Nordstrand recommendation. That's my number one concern, is I do not want it to sound less... well, Geddy. Thanks again all of you!