Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups in a Dean?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JTGale, Oct 26, 2004.

1. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I recently picked up a Dean 4-string for next to nothing and am wondering if anybody knows what kind of pickups Dean uses? (i.e. Which manufaturer.) Do I need to pull my bass apart to look under them for a maker's mark? They are embossed on the top with the word "Dean," nothing else. Just curious ...

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What kind of Dean? Soapbar or J style?

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Soapbar style. And there are two of them with three control knobs (Vol., Vol., Bass/Treb).

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mick told me they make all their own, but I really think they're EMG Selects. They sound and look just like them. Look like them as well. A rebranded PU is pretty common in the production bass world. I would measure them with a multimeter and compare the resistance to the EMG specs. If they're the same, then they probably are EMG Selects. Hohner's been using them for years, as have many others, with some success. Are you thinking about replacing them? If you are, I'd suggest looking into Bartolini. Even if you have to rout the body a bit, they'd really warm up the tone, and give you better highs and mids as well.

5. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I measured the pickups the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find a Bart that should fit without any modifications. Also, while I was there, I just had to look at their preamps -- a necessity! Lord knows, all that hardware would be worth more that I paid for the little fella! But, needless to say, I really like the feel of the neck. So I think I will hang on to it for awhile. Maybe upgrading will become justified ... ;-)

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Man, the number of times I have "overspent" on the electronics just because I like the neck! You won't be sorry, a workman must have the tools of his craft!

7. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    You are absolutely right!

8. jjtsucka

jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    ive got an edge with emg-hz pickups passive

9. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Forgive my ignorance, but what are the difference between the Selects and the HZ? And how is one to know which ones they are?

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The selects are the cheapest of the EMG pickups. I believe they're made overseas, but I could be wrong.
    The HZ passive pickups are of similar quality to their regular active pickups.

11. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Then let me ask a dumb question: If they are EMG HZs and I were to install an onboard preamp, would it be worth it? (Acoustically, that is.) I understand that the boost and the control would definately be a good move but to put a preamp on worthless pickups might be self-defeating. (Right?)

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you mean selects, right?
    EMG HZ are of similar quality to regular EMG active pickups.
    If you like the sound of the selects, it doesn't matter how much they costs. But if you don't like the sound, then you're right - a preamp can only do so much and can't make a good tone out of a bad one.

13. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    OK, one more dumb question. I promise. How do I tell exactly what kind are in the bass? If they are EMGs, do they say that anywhere? If not, is there a way to find out? The tone of the pickups that are in it are a little flat. That is what led me to wonder about a preamp. A few years ago, (12 years, to be preciese), I had a bass with EMG selects that really left a lot to be desired. These don't sound nearly that thin.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Email EMG and ask what in their standard range they're most similar to. If they're a custom design/ proprietary spec item they may not give you exact details.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bassjunky, I don't have the exact answer for you. I don't own a Dean. Given how inexpensive the Dean's are, I'd wager they're selects but I can't say for sure.

16. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. I will probably break down and buy new pups along with a preamp. Even though this is a low-end product, I just can't stay away from this neck! Sometimes even on the low-end stuff you can find some semblance of quality. Thanks again and happy groovin!

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Go on, get the pickups and pre. Give it a new voice. You'll be glad you did.