Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups like Ken Smith Soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jan 9, 2004.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi
    I used to own a Ken Smith 5str which is one of the best sounding basses Ive ever heard- trouble was that I prefer 17mm string spacing at the bridge and the KS had 18mm. Im planning on getting a custom bass built with that sound in mind and was going to get a set of ken smith soapbars put in it but as they have seperate pole pieces they will only fit 18mm string spacing.
    Does anybody know of any pickups that sound similar to the smith soapbars or who makes them? -could I get a custom set wound???

Thanks
    Philip

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I would look into a set of Kent Armstrong's. I've played several basses with these pup's and thought them very Smith like. Plus he does custom winding so I'm sure he could get that sound.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We will be re-introducing the Flat Tops again shortly for 4,5 and 6 string. The Masters were mis-palced when we moved to the new building in 1998 and we started making new Masters to make the Molds. We never had the time to complete them as we were extremely busy with moving and orders. We didn't promote them before as our wensite was kinda new as well.

A few days ago, my Tech handed me a box as he was moving things around and asked, "what do you wanna do with these FT masters"? My eyes popped out when he showed them to me.

We should have them soon. They will fit almost any String spacing up to about 19mm.

I wasn't meaning to make an Ad here but wanted to respond as this just developed.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Cool Ken, will they go in my new bass ?

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Well, we used to offer them as an option. They cost slightly more because of the internal shielding, the must be routed a lil deeper for the thickness and they take a lil more time to wire with the 2 extra ground tabs to the shielding.. So.. If we have them in stock by then I guess it's a possiblity......

6. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Are these pickups the standard smith size or can they be custom wound to different sizes eg bartolini soapbar?

Thanks

Philip

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA