Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups not in line

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Aug 24, 2005.

1. For basses like MIM Jazz, or other bargain basses.... is this usually a problem with poor pickup placement on the bass(holes driller in wrong spots) or poorly placed pole pieces on the actual pickup?

I ask because the pickups will be taken out anyways.

2. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    my MIM jazz has the same issues as well... I just took my stock pups out and found a broken off screw inside the cavity, so they re-drilled right next to it... Plus I have to really angle my saddles on my badass II bridge to get the strings to line up with the poles of the pups. The pickguard does not go on smoothly either, I have to torque the neck pup to get it all to fit.

so yes, as much as I love the sound of my mim jazz (especially now w/ SD quarter pounders in there!), the workmanship is a little on the shoddy side... I am sure not all mims have issues though.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, they don't always line up, but this has no effect on tone. Just a looks thing.