1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickups on my J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wsuhorn, Jun 26, 2007.

1. wsuhorn

wsuhorn

Apr 17, 2007
    I have a American fretless jazz bass. I usually only use the bridge picksup so I was throwing around the idea of taking off the neck pickups and replacing them with '82 P bass pickups. Does anyone have tryed this or have a say on this?
    Thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I’m a bridge player and I sure wouldn’t do it. For starters, routing is money that could be spent on something besides a hole. I’ve got better P tone from J’s than P’s I’ve had. More J’s made than all other pup shapes combined and you can swap them out tone searching till you drop dead. If I could only have one bass with routes it'd be a J bass. Love P tone and don’t know if it’s the P necks or what but I’ve had some 20 P pups.

Only use I’ve found for a neck pup is to fatten a bridge pup that couldn’t stand alone. Once I got a stash of bridge pups that would, haven’t really had use for a neck pup.

I found the Fender MIA's I had on the thin side personally. Fine for a neck pup but doesn't cut it at the bridge. Something with some meat like Model J. The Fav Fender so far are whatever they stick in the Miller basses. The SD Classic stack is actually pretty close to that. CS's and the Noiseless pups were too dark for me.

Reviews are in FAQ Dimento's J expeiment.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021