Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups or preamp? Or both?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AuG, Mar 1, 2006.

1. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ok, so I have a cheap chinese made Warwick Rockbass that some of you probably had seen for sale a little while ago, couldn't sell it so I thought I'd put a little money into it. It has MEC jazz pickups and a 2 band active eq. Would it be worth my time and cash to upgrade to say an aguilar 2 band eq? Should I change both preamp and pups? Just looking for some advice and suggestions on what I can and can't do. :D I'll admit that I'm kind of "challenged" when it comes to electronics, but I understand the layout of the controls and at least managed to take out the existing preamp. I can post some pics if that would help..... :)

AuG:help:

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Not too sure about this since my Warwick is passive, but i've heard that the MEC electronics aren't too bad and that it's the pickups that are lacking. I wasn't satisfied with the MEC pickups in mine, so I upgraded to Dimarzio Model J's. For less than a hundred bucks, you can buy a set of these pickups which will greatly alter your tone (hopefully for the better), and maybe make you reconsider selling it. If you really are still looking to get rid of the thing though, I probably wouldn't put the money or work into it, but that's your decision.
    Good luck,
    -Alex