Pickups or Preamp???? (upgrade content)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Feb 14, 2006.

1. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Ok, my fine crew of TB experts, how do you know if you need pickups or a preamp to achieve your desires??? My case is this I have a Warwick Streamer Fretless 5 that I love the look and feel of, but the sound is lacking to me. I really can't quite put my finger on it, but it just lacks its thin, not very articulate in expressing the mwah in the lower register, I guess it is not a defined sound. The notes seem to loose there fretless appeal in the lower E and B. Now here is the question, is this a job for new pups or should I just go active with a new preamp??? I just want a defined, even, articulate sound all over the board.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The MEC pickups are known for that. Get yourself some seymour duncan basslines.
  3. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I think that pickups are responsible for your basic sound and timbre (ignoring, of course, the basic construction details of the bass). All preamps can do is shape the sound. Play with the eq on your amp, or even buy any eq pedal. Does it fix your sound? If so, you might be in the market for a preamp. Otherwise, I'd look at pickups first.

By the way, how sure are you about this bass to begin with? I've had instruments that just plain did not sound good to me, and no amount of mods would change it. There's nothing worse than dumping a bunch of money on new electronics only to find you still don't like the sound.