Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups or preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flea-bass, Mar 15, 2004.

1. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    which is more important cause i can only afford one right now

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Uh...

I'm assuming you're upgrading your bass and can only pick between adding a preamp or getting new pickups?

It would help if you told us more about your situation.

Specifically:
    • What bass do you have?
    • What type(s) of music do you play?
    • What sound are you looking for?
    • How much are you willing to spend?
    Answering these questions will make it easier for people to help you out.

3. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    i have a cort b5 with a mk1 pickup and preamp system.
    i play metal but i also like to slap and pop
    i am looking for punch with lots of low end
    and i have 140$ right but i can always save up

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've swapped pups and electronics in a dozen of my basses. Barts, EMGs, Duncans, Dimarzio's, Aguilar, whatever. My experience is that if you get a decent set of pups, you don't need a preamp. Preamp primarily gives more control over the tone that already exists in your pups and bass.

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Good pickups are more important than an onboard preamp. You can adjust your tone on your amp, but the pickups are vital.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I didn't notice your $140 thing. You can get quality pups AND preamp used for that, sometimes new for that off ebay. But you can pretty much buy pups and preamp for $70 each all day long.

For what it's worth.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    And actually I've got some stuff I'm going to be moving that would cover that range. Preamps I know going are an Aggie OBP 1, Bart NTNB, EMG BTC/BTS, and I've got another Bart NTMB coming in so one may be going. Set of Active EMG PJs (just arrived), Duncan active Jazz Lightnin Rods. And I just got in a new pair of Dimarzio DP 126 PJs and used pair of Fender Lace Sensor Js. Depends on what you're looking for.

I'm always jacking with this stuff.

I'm supposed to swap the EMG PJs for an MM but didn't hear back from the guy today sooooo........ But I did check them out today and they're good to go. I dropped the Dimarzios PJs in to a bass and ran them passive with a series/parallel switch to the P pup and through in a phase switch. Haven't had time to play it to anything but just jacking around sounds toastie. Some high output in them puppies.

For what it's worth.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The MK1 is a good sounding pickup, the preamp ok. I would change the preamp. Many people with Lakland 55-01 basses that use this preamp/pickup combo have changed from the Korean Bartolini preamp to the American made Bartolini NTMB preamp and had really good results.

9. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    im sorry i forgot to say that it is 140 canadian.
    i think img going to get the pickups.
    Thanks for the help

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yah, dat doo alter duh prescription.

Dude may have a point on those boutique imports (ooh that hurt). I've got an MM pup out of an MTD Kingston and it ain't bad at all. Maybe their starting to put a few more bucks in their pup assemblies.

11. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    but it sounds really muddy and i want to clear it up

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Put up a post for you're bass and see if anybody else had swapped either pups/preamp or both and what they discovered. Do a search first just in case it's already been done. Post cost you nothing and you might save yourself some grief and bucs in experimentation.