Pickups questions for a Custom Luthier bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Louzan, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Louzan

Louzan

Jul 26, 2018
    Maßbach
    That sounds really interesting, will think about too.

2. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Bartolini.

Louzan likes this.
  3. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    They may not have anything that does what you’re looking for, but a few months ago, I bought a Nordstrand pickup for my Rickenbacker and it’s been the best aftermarket pickup I’ve ever bought. If you read reviews of pickups, you’ll find Nordstrand users a pretty happy bunch.

Louzan likes this.
  4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I took a chance in a Delano soap bar set and find that they are pretty versatile. I have them wired up passive. Series and single coil on PP tone knobs. Because they’re 4 wire, they can be independent of one another. It’s a nice setup. Delano voices their pickups beautifully.

thisSNsucks and Louzan like this.
  5. I was originally gonna put DiMarzio Js and a P in my "custom axe" that I'm designing.

Then I realised after reading your post that I have a pair of 35Ps, EMG EQ and some bits from my "beyond repair" bass from many years ago.

Hmm. Always loved those in my Aria. Maybe in the 24-fret J-style? Hmm...

Louzan likes this.
  6. Louzan

Louzan

Jul 26, 2018
    Maßbach
    I think I will go on with Delano Hybrid 5 + Delano JC 5 AL/H + Sonar3. The combination is really interesting and I believe it fits perfectly with what I want.
    The project will take long, I'm still designing the bass (body, head and so on), and investigating on woods and that. Plus I leave far away from the artisan so he is always waiting that I can come by to check every step. But as soon as I'm done will post here the results.
    Thanks to all for your help, this forum really worth it.

Btw, the bass in my profile pic was fully design by me and built by the Luthier I talked about.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Since you are soliciting opinions, I will add my perspective. I disagree with Jamro217 -- pickup placement isn't that important. I think you could move most pickups almost a centimeter in either direction and it would be difficult to notice. Pickup type is more important.

I certainly disagree with the concept of using a harmonic chart for determining pickup placement. Why? That harmonic chart uses open strings to determine where the harmonic nodes are, but how often do you play open strings? Most of the time, you are playing fretted notes. When you play a fretted note, the harmonic nodes for that string move -- which means that the harmonic node is not where it used to be when the string is open, which means it's not where it used to be when determining where the pickup was placed. Which means it's not important at all, or even relevant.

This is my bass. As you can see, it's an unusual pickup arrangement. I chose the pickup locations by putting the bridge pickup in the standard 60's position, and spacing the other two pickups two inches apart (about 51 millimeters). I made the decision based on how it would look, not how I thought it would sound, because I already was confident it would sound great. And it does sound great! (By the way, the pickups are Fender Super 55 hum canceling pickups.) So I recommend you put your pickups wherever you think they will look good, and don't worry if the location is a few millimeters different than the pickup on another bass or on a chart. If you have good pickups, it's going to sound good.

Sasha 2.jpg

Louzan, Skillet and ctmullins like this.
  8. Louzan

Louzan

Jul 26, 2018
    Maßbach
    Thanks for your experience. Yes, the idea is also that the bass looks good of course, I know moving it some mm won't change much. This topic is the same like with the wood type, if you have walnut from here or walnut from tropic that was cut during a full moon is much better, etc. In the end is all about to find the balance. Wood is important, pickups are important, electronics and good shield are important, but you don't have to go to far with them compromising how the bass looks or how it feels when you play it.

ctmullins and BlueTalon like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021