1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups sound "compressed"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prietomusic, Dec 27, 2011.

1. SO....happy holidays to all! NEED some insight here! I recently installed some Wylde (p-46) pickups in my Precision, and with the volume to 10, it sounds as if the pups are compressed! Both pots are new(250k) and so is the cap(.047). The volume is considerably lower compared to the rest of my pbasses and truly sounds "compessed", even though the rest of the components are the same! Anyone?? : )

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Pickup height?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Is the action very low?

4. Nope, pickup height is where it should be!

5. I set it up the just like the my others. Im wondering if i wired them in parallel instead of series, or if that would make a difference?

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Parallel would make them brighter and give you less volume and mids.

7. Hmmmm...i may have to go back to the "drawing board" and re-wire. Also, what do you guys think about a 500k for the volume?

8. What are you playing it through and how are you setting everything? How are you deciding to set the pickup height? The P-46 is a bit unusual in that it delivers greater note fundamental, has less of an upper-mid bump, is free of shorts and perfectly clear, and probably delivers highs you weren't getting before with other precision pickups. I probably wouldn't use a 500k pot but don't let that stop you :D You can get the P-46 unusually close to the strings for more fundamental and a bit more aggression in the topend (and voltage output as well!), but maybe you'll have to consider resetting your amp, even if you find the settings you're using now work with a variety of other P-basses, etc. Instead of parallel, I'd be tempted to recommend a low-capacitance cable instead, to insure you're getting the most highend extension you can. The P-46 is potentially lower inductance than other P-bass pickups, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the combination of the lack of upper-mid accentuation and the stronger fundamental is throwing you off? I'd definitely turn down the gain and the bass at the preamp, bump the upper mids if you have the option, and play with the pickup height plenty.

9. For series, black and blues go to ground, white to hot, green and red are connected to each other and insulated from making contact with other connections.

10. The settings on the amp and cable used are the same as the others and string spacing is about 2.5mm on the E. My intention was to wire it in series and Im sure I did, but Ill have to go back and make sure. The characteristics you mentioned seemed to be the opposite of the sound I ultimately got from them(pups), haha. The D and G strings are audibly(?) lower than the E and A, even with a smaller spacing(just experimenting).

11. I would not be surprised if you wanted the pickup approaching twice as far away from the E as it is to the G if you like the tone on the upper strings with the pickup very close. What I meant to say is that you may want fairly different EQ at the amp because this might be a fairly different pickup. If you use the 500k pot, you'll get back more of that upper-mid resonance, which you might like.

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    You wired them parallel.

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    And perhaps out of phase with regard to the other coil as well?

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's a P pickup, so even if it were out of phase, it wouldn't matter since no string is sensed by both coils.

I think some of this is the expectation that it's going to sound just like the other basses. This is not a regular P pickup, and is clearer and might have a little less output. You might also have to EQ that bass a little differently.

Output does not equal good tone. :)