Pickups strength

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Enzo88, May 19, 2018.

1. Enzo88

Enzo88

Mar 22, 2018
    Italy
    Hi all guys,
    I'm kinda new to these forums, I have a question for those experienced in electronics and such.

I kept a pair of split coil precision pickups nearby 2 electric razors (yeah, those used to shave the beard). I will install them soon on my upcoming new bass, so as of now I don't have a way to test them.

The question is, do those razors influence the magnetic fields of pickups? I don't even know if those razors do have a magnetic field at all. Is there a way to measure the strength of my pickups? Like measuring the ohm helps understanding the power of it?

Nobish questions I know, but I'm kinda paranoic so I'd like to know something about it. Thanks all.

2. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I think that you’re better off installing the pickups instead of the electric razors into the bass. The last time I installed an electric razor into a bass... actually I’m pretty sure I’ve never don’t that.

ctmullins likes this.
  3. Enzo88

Enzo88

Mar 22, 2018
    Italy
    Yeah lol I meant installing the pickups

4. Youre probably fine. I'd say, install the pickups and if they sound good, they sound good. Shave and then go play something.:D

5. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Turn the razors on, hold a paper clip close to them, and see if it’s magnetically attracted. If it is, then file a patent for a new type of active bass guitar pickup. :roflmao:

Mvilmany likes this.
  6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I suggest you put the razors in the bridge position, that’ll help you cut thru the mix ;)

If you want to test before you install them, just suspend them upside down over the strings on another bass and hook them up to a cable (scotch tape would probably work just fine, or alligator leads even better). This should give you a sense of how they work.

7. Enzo88

Enzo88

Mar 22, 2018
    Italy
    Yeah thanks all, they should work fine. Also i tested the Resistance and it reads as 11.2k so given a 3-4% margin error of reading it's alright (the value "correct" should be around 10.7k according to the producer).

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

As long as they're not actually touching any ferrous material theyre fine. But maybe move them from the razor drawer to the socks drawer.

Read this for straight up truth about pickups in laymans terms from the godfather of pickups. Bill Lawrence: All About Tone

9. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I would, if possible, fashion a pyramid out of the pickups and store the razor in said pyramid. Keep the bugger good and sharp. :thumbsup: