Pickups swap on Yamaha, for Seymour Quarter P.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nataan, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Nataan

Nataan

Jun 19, 2017
    Hey all,

I have a few issues with the pickup exchange I did a few weeks ago.
    I swaped the stock Yamaha BB 404 pickups for Seymour Quarter Pounders.
    Two things :

1/ I have a volume and "punch" drop. Compared to the stock pickups or other basses, it sounds really, really weak.
    2/ The tone control doesn't really affect the tone, but more of the volume - almost cut when I turn to 0.

Maybe the two issues could be linked in a way or another ? I wired just like the stock pickups were wired, I'll upload a photo tomorrow. They don't seem to be wired like classic jazz bass pickup. Also, the pots are 500K; I plan to exchange for 250K, as they are a bit flimsy (15 years of playing this bass, as well...).

I already read a lot a topics here but found nothing really linked to this problem, so, if ou could enlighten me a wee bit, would be nice !

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    The Quarter Pounds are anything but weak, so my guess is that it is a wiring issue. The color codes on the wires are probably not the same, either.

3. Nataan

Nataan

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks. I'll definitely rewire everything while getting new pots, should be fine !

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022