Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups to steal this tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This is David Simm's tone, I think he uses a 70's J-Bass. I was just wondering if I could get my MIM J to sound anything like this.. It might be eqing, or something. So if pick-ups won't help me get this, tell me.

(Cut it down to a few seconds for size)

(This isn't the best example of his tone, listen to anything Rapeman or Jesus Lizard. He's really an awsome bassist)

2. A lot of it comes from the GK head and two 15's he used. His bass was a mid 70's jazz, I believe. He had a lot of dirt in his sound, and some things like a tech 21 bass driver can get you somewhat there.
    Simms is one of my favorite bassists of all time.

3. I remember in some interview he said he uses a Memphis copy of a Jazz bass.
    it has a maple neck/fingerboard, so a MIM J with a rosewood board may not be quite as bright.

use stainless steel rounds.

4. Mocky is right, it is a Memphis Jazz copy. It's a copy of a '72, methinks. Maple fretboard with black block inlays.
    You should be able to get pretty close to the same tone with steelwounds and a little help from your eq.

Hey Mocky, do you have any idea where you saw that interview? I'd like a copy of it myself if I can find it.

5. I think that interview was in Guitarist Magazine- unfortunately I threw out most of those.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    what should i boost/cut to get his tone?

7. The question is subjective. You can purchase David Simms enitre rig and you playing through/with it, will not sound like him.
    That's his technique.

You would be better off finding your own technique then trying to emulate someone else. Does this make sense?

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. I'd experiment with boosting the 2Khz region, both pickups full on, use a pick between the two.

9. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

simm's rig as follows:

memphis jazz copy, sunburst finish, maple fretboard.

2 1x15 cabs.
    gk 800rb head.
    traynor 50w tube amp as the preamp. the gk was the power amp.

a jazz bass, stainless steel strings, metal picks, and a sansamp bassdriver through a fairly transparent amp will get you there. there's only one jesus lizard site on the web now and you can see pictures of simms and his rig. and you may wanna check out scratch acid if you haven't already his playing is a little rougher but it's clearly him.

also, albini_fan, bob westons tone rocks.

10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    bob's tone DOES rock, and the 50w traynor head isn't a tube. It's a traynor ts-50b, which is all solid state. It's also what Bob Weston uses.

Dave Riley's tone still conquers all :rock

btw: i know to get an-albini's-bass-player tone requires stainless steel strings, but i never know if light or heavy guage is better. anyone know? does it matter?

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm thinking heavy on the stainless steel. b/c you can boost treble and not lose any mids on the heavier strings. i play in sort of a similar tone on a p-bass. and what i do is set the bass and treble on my sansamp to 12 'o' clock, the drive and presence to 2, the blend all the way up, and level about 11. brass picks actually do a lot for tone btw. i'm pretty sure simms, weston and riley used them.

and you're right dave riley's tone should be knelt down and praised. i do believe he played a peavey t-40. i've seen pictures of him in the band and that's all i've seen him playing. a black one at that. which from what i hear are inferior to the natural finish ones.

right now i'm breathlessly awaiting the arrival of my sunburt fender jazz. can't wait to string it up with stainless steels, run it through the sansamp and play it with brass picks. can't wait.

12. spikemacgee

spikemacgee

Oct 24, 2007
    Brew City, WI
    I can't believe how old this thread is :) Sorry, I'm kind of new.

Yeah, Riley's tone was MONSTROUS. He played a black T-40 as Mr. Primate mentioned above, and it looks to me like he usually used an old SVT head. It looks too tall to be a V4 series head. The cab is probably an 8x10 judging by its size but it could be a 2x15. I don't know what his stomp box was. Probably a Rat considering the time and the popularity of those pedals.

I had a very early T-40 that was tobacco burst with a rosewood fretboard. It did sound good for the most part but was big, heavy, and the action on it was always lousy. Maybe if I had it back again I'd have more patience with it now that I'm a little more experienced. Oh well. I'm happy with a P-Bass.

Everyone here nailed the three people I've always considered the masters of brutal rock bass tone. It's probably very true that equipment is only part of the puzzle. They also have techniques and little secret tools to help achieve their sound (like brass picks for example) that are much harder to spot.