Pickups too sensitive.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flambeu, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Hi everyone!

Well, about a month ago I bought myself the Peavey Cirrus (it's beautiful, I love it :) ). However, after this period of play-testing it, I realized the pickups are way too sensitive for my taste.
    In the manual attached to the bass pickup configuration is mentioned, but nothing is explained as to how to do it.
    So, how do I do it?
    Thanks.. ;)
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I am just guessing here, as I am not familiar with your bass, but you might want to consider two things:

1- try increasing slightly the distance between the pickups and the strings by lowering the pickups. Go slow, starting with bridge pickup, and check frequently.

2- if your bass has a preamp built in, see if there is a gain pot inside. If there is, try reducing the gain slightly.

Hope this works for you.
  3. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Thank you for your answer.
    The bass has a preamp, so I'll try opening it.
    I understood lowering the pickups reduce the sensitivity, do I just unscrew them and adjust the height? From my point of view it doesn't seem that simple...:confused:
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    "Unscrew the pickups"?

No, you tighten them, screw them further into the body of the bass. Clockwise, you know? :)

And the Cirrus has to my knowledge no trim pot inside the cavity, so no need to open it.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I had the same problem with my p-bass. But i couldnt screw them out (not sensitive ENOUGH) because the machine that screwed them in put them there to STAY. could'nt unscrew em without stripping it.
  6. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Thanks Oysterman, that's exactly what I wanted (and needed) to know :D