Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oten, Jul 1, 2004.

1. oten

Jun 29, 2004

ibanez SDGR custom made 6-string (approx. 6 year old model)
    ibanez active soapbar pickups

the pickups are note labelled so i do not really know what of type they are (possibly ADX5 N/B but not sure)

whenever i recorded in studios, the sound engineers kept telling me that the signal out was much too low that i should get other pickups.
    then a guy told me that good electronics-wiring can make a great difference in the sound. he recommended SPECTOR wiring and told me i would not have to change the pups...

what would you think is better and more economical - invest in EMG pickups or change the wiring?

thanx for help!

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The first thing I changed in my bass was the preamp. I put in a Bartolini NTMB 3 band pre. It made a world of difference. It has a trim pot on it that lets you adjust the output. It can also be wired 18v if you need more output. I wired mine for 9v and still had to back the trim down a bit.
    I then changed the pickups to Bartolini after a short time. The preamp seemed to make more of a difference than the pickups. I don't know what would have happened if I changed the pickups first.
  3. oten

Jun 29, 2004
    sounds good.
    thats what i am going to do.
    thanx for help.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you say you have active pickups, so output level shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a preamp on the bass? (i.e. bass boost/cut?) If so, it *may* have a trim pot to control output level - as Edwcdc says, the bart preamps have that also. Just thought it might be worth trying it out.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are happy with the sound of the bass, then I wouldn't change anything in it. Invest in a DI box. There are some good ones out there that are fairly transparent and will get you the signal boost that you are after.

Also, be careful of sound engineers telling you how to modify your bass. There are some good ones out there that know alot about bass, but there are also some that just talk a good game. This comment about too low of output from your bass sounds like a load of crap to me.
  6. oten

Jun 29, 2004
    the amplitude of the sound is sufficient but then it drops suddenly a lot and has no sustain. the battery is new.

even if i doubt that ibanez would use such crap pickups in a bass for 1,000 usd :meh: , when comparing to other basses (warwick) it sounds weak.