Pickups ... what pickup does what ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jan 21, 2002.

1. since I have never had lessons, I do not quit know wich pickup does what and so on..

I have a Warwick Jazzman..

there is a switch above the tone control,

I read the following line in the book :

Tone-wise, it's quite versatile w/ the HB being splittable, plus you can run it series or parallel.
    what does splittable do ? what do I do when I put "it" (what is it) in series or parallel ??

hehe...newbe questions from somebody with an expensive bass, I know..
    the bass is here in Europe (Netherlands) much cheaper than in the states :)
  2. Warwick says that you can expand the FNA very good with Seymour Duncan pickups ...

what's the difference with S.D. and my MEC ???
    what will the sound-difference be ?
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think every member of TB could write paragraphs on what each pickup does, and it would not serve you nearly as well as you sitting down with the bass and an amp, tweaking the controls and listening to how the controls change your tone.

Also pay attention to where you strike the strings in relation to the PU and so on. You discover a world of tones.

AS far as changing over to SD pickups, well, that is also a matter of preference.

IME, SD pickups have a very high output, good dynamic range and a very aggressive, edgy tone. Depending on the model of course. I have no idea which model would go in your Warwick.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think this would be better suited for the Pickups forum.
  5. sorry for the trouble :)

ok..my question is this ...
    my humbucker can be split ..

what does splittable do ? what do I do when I put "it" (what is it) in series or parallel ??
    and here I do not mean dierct with the sound, but more technically ?? what is a parallel switched humbucker ?

ind in general, is humbucker ment for " the growl " and the J-pickup for the less dierect tones ?
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A humbucker is two coils with opposite polarity, which cancels hum. The hum is from the electric network, that interferes with a single coil, at 50, 55 or 60 Hz, whatever freq is used where you play.

HB's are normally wired in series, which cancels hum best. It also makes the tone more mellow and increases the output.
    Parallel wiring decreases both humcancelling and output slightly, while adding some edge to the tone.
    "splittable" means that one coil is shorted, so the remaining coil works as a single coil (J-pup). This yields a sharp, growly tone, while there may be a significant network hum.
    Having these options means that you will have some tonal versatility built into your bass, on top of what you have in your hands.

The pup near the bridge will give you the growl while the neck pup will give the mellower effects. Providing you pluck in the proper way and the proper position, with the proper finger, etc;)
  7. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I totally agree with Chas. You need to sit down and tweak it and see what each setting gives you. And don't forget, what you hear when playing by yourself is not always what you hear when you play with other people. I haven't played that long but I'm only now learning which settings on my jazz bass sound good in a band, and what kind of music they sound good for. And it is always different from what sounds good to me when I practice by myself.