Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups - Why J-style plus humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I'm curious as to what folks see as the tonal advantages of having a bass with both a J-style pickup and a Music Man-style Humbucker or Soapbar. Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having the J-Pickup at the neck and the MM at the bridge (ala Lakeland and many others) versus having it the other way around?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I wondered this myself. Warrior seems to be the only company that offers the MM-J combination with the J at the bridge.

The MM sound is characterized as being very bright, so maybe people think that the mellow J at the neck helps even things out. IMO, I always thought the J's strong suit was the midrange burp it produced in the bridge position.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I agree, yet most who offer this combo offer it the other way around. Somebody out there must know the reason.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think it may have to do with "aperture" too.

There's a lotta string motion at the neck pup.
    Grab or pick up too much, and it'll get all
    muddy ∴ ...smaller window or aperture.

Back at the bridge there's less motion, but more
    harmonic/overtone stuff goin' on == bigger window.

Here's a sketch from the Bart site...

[​IMG]

Here's the rest of the article. Dunno what
    happened to the rest of the pics....

Yo! Bart web-dude! WAKE UP!

5. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I don`t understand that, too..

Anyone ever seen a Single / MuMan / Single Combo ? That`d be cool..

David

6. The more I think about it, the more I want to try P/MM.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    OOOOoooooh
    ::Les Nesman off::

Cool ide'r Kuro~s! :D PLUS, Bart makes P-types for fivers.
    Throw in a MM quad (quint?) coil...the switchin possibilities
    boggle the mind :eek::p .

8. re. P + MM, the bass player of UK band Feeder has this p/up config on his custom built Combat basses.

re. J at neck and MM at bridge, surely the reason behind this is just to approximate two bass "standards"l the Musicman Stingray (MM at bridge) and a Jazz bass (J + bridge coil of the MM)with one setup?

I saw a bass by German maker "Bassline" with the MM at the Musicman Stingray position, and a slim bar pickup squeezed in at the bridge.

Bootsy Collins has a soapbar/J/MM/J/soapbar setup on his latest "Space bass"..........

9. feederweb's talk board is down and I can't find an e-mail address for the bass player or any of them. Sure am curious how he placed the pickups and how he wired them. Combat, is that a company and do you have their URL? Thanks, Mock!

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Ed Friedland just had a P-pickup added to a Stingray. He's written some about it on his bboard at http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/...Bass+Station&number=5&DaysPrune=60&LastLogin= . He found that a P-pickup in its standard position and a MM pickup in its standard position overlap. So he had the P put in reverse with the EA coil in normal position and the DG coil more towards the neck than normal. He's going to put a picture and sound clip on his site http://www.edfriedland.com at some point in the future.

I checked on G&Ls also since the pickups are slightly smaller (I think) but an L-1500 bridge pickup and a P-pickup still overlap.

One idea I had to get a P+MM-type sound was to use 3 J or narrow bar pickups. Put one at the front of the P-position, one at the back of the MM-position and one between. Then you could use the front two for P-sound, the back two for MM-sound and maybe the front and back for something somewhat J-like. It would be interesting to try but an expensive experiment if it doesn't turn out good.

11. The Bartolini catalog drawings of magnet placement show their P pickups with the magnets close to the bridge edge of the segments instead of centered like stock P pickups. There might be a quarter inch or more there. I'm going to try to find out Monday.

12. re. Combat Guitars, they're a small Japanese Custom shop, but I can't find a website for them.

judging from photos, Take Hirose (Feeder bassist)'s basses have the P/up positioned in the P-bass position, but the MM p/up closer to the bridge than a stingray (due to the aforementioned p/up size/space available problem) . I think the pickups are Dimarzio's (that's what their Tech said in the Melody maker- I didn't know they did an MM p/up). there's an active 3band EQ circuit.

a setup I'm getting good results from is the P + JJ setup on my Warmoth parts P bass (double jazz humbucker with the bridge coil positioned where a Jazz bass bridge p/up would be, plus a series/parallel.single coil selector).

the JJ run in series or parallel sounds very similar to a Stingray. I'm considering adding an active circuit to take this further.

13. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thought about that one, too: MM in the "sweet spot", one J above, one J crammed between the MM and the bridge.

Although I'm sure there are others, the only bass I can think of that came standard with three pups was the original PRS bass which had, I believe, three single coil pickups.

Of course, I'm still interested in getting input as to whether to setup my bass mm-jazz or jazz-mm and why.

14. craigb

The two 3-pickup basses that spring immediately to mind are:

- the Dano Hodad (recently blown out at MF for $99) with 3 lipstick pups
    - the Stu Hamm Urge with a J-P-J setup (reviewed in Bass Player a while ago)

I'm sure there are others

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm in the process of designing the bass I'm going to build over the summer, and I'm still thinking of building a Stratojazzer, with three humbucking jazz pickups, in Stratocaster configuration, and the same switching as a deluxe strat, that is, a five way switch and one mini to toggle the bridge, allowing all seven pickup combinations.

BTW, post 300! Woohoo!

16. I believe Gibson made a 3 single coil pickup bass with the same shape as the Grabber and Ripper at one time.

17. Yeah, was it called the S-3? Might work well except for 6-strings; magnetic pull might be a problem on a hi-C string unless low-pull pickups like EMGs were used.

18. Think it was called the G3.. not entirely sure though.

19. if you put an MM at the neck (neck coil where a J bass neck p/up would be) and ran it in series it would be pretty muddy sounding- probably like a P p/up with the bass boosted.

20. craigb

I don't necessarily agree with that. G&L's use a humbucker (a lot like a MM pickup) in what is probably the P-pickup position (maybe a little more in the middle than a J?). It doesn't sound muddy - it sounds awesome (IMHO of course). That's the main sound I love out of my L2000.

Everyone usually does describe as muddy the Gibsons with a humbucker right at the end of the fretboard.

Warrior is about the only mfr I can think of that does the MM(neck)+J thing. You might want to try out a G&L with the neck pickup only to see what a MM pup in that position can do.

I'm kind of casually thinking about how I'd go about putting together a G&L with the humbucker in the neck and a J-style in the bridge. I'd probably have to get an SB-2 (P+J) and replace the P with the HB. Maybe someday.