1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups Wiring on a SQUIER VM Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Leovik, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Leovik

Leovik

Oct 12, 2012
    Hi guys,

Anybody knows the original wiring of the pickups in a Squier VM Jaguar? (not the wiring on individual pickups, but the wiring BETWEEN the P and the J PU's).

I believe it's supposed to be PARALLEL, but my guitar seems to be rewired in SERIES.

The pickups weren't working, and my guitar tech said the only way he could make them work was wiring "one on another" [maybe he wasn't such an expert, or maybe something is wrong with the electronics). I know nothing about electronics, so I'd like to know if this means the PU's were rewired in series.

What diference would this make in the sound?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. 99% of the time, if there is no series/parallel switch, pickups are wired parallel to each other. It also takes a rather extensive rewiring scheme to get pickups in series with individual volumes and tones, and most people are not aware of how to do it, so it's not likely that your tech miswired.

In any case, you would have more output and midrange.

3. Leovik

Leovik

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks,

I'll see if I can post some pics of the actual wiring on my bass...

I was just trying to figure out what happened. I took the guitar to the tech because both TONE pots were inactive (while the volume pots were fine). When I got it back from the shop, he said there was no response the way it was wired - and he had to change the places where the wires were soldered.

:/