1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups with mounting rings. What basses have them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DanAdams, Apr 23, 2018.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I have a nice bass with a BAD route job. If I put the original pickups back in it's going to look ugly. I want to use a pickup with mounting rings (like a guitar humbucker often has) to cover up the bad mojo.
    So far I've thought of
    Peavey T40
    Some Thunderbirds
    Some Yamaha BB
    The Ibanez has it's ATK bridge / mouting ring (which I'm currently using on a frankenbuild)
    What other basses uses mounting rings?
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 9.14.14 PM. Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 9.14.58 PM. Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 9.15.50 PM. Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 9.16.59 PM.

2. DanAdams likes this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Gretsch.

Rickenbacker kind of.

DanAdams likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Some of those aren't mounting rings as such, simply trim rings. I would only consider them mounting rings if the pickup is suspended from the ring. The ATK, Yamaha BB and Thunderbird pickups all screw into the wood of the body.

From my own basses over the years, my Fender Starcaster, Ibanez Axstar and Aria TAB66 all had pickup rings with the pickup mounted to the ring.

5. The pickups in the bass in my profile pic are from a hofner copy. But the rings were still too skinny to cover the hack-job on this junk bass I rebuilt. So I made new rings from timber.

How far off are the routes? How about just re-routing the bass for slightly larger pickups?

6. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Haroldo likes this.