Pickups with the most bass sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zie, Apr 29, 2020.

1. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have a fender precision and a jazz bass; both are passive. I have started looking around for pickups and I was wondering if you guys know which pickup, out there, has the most bass sound to it. I know about the pure vintage 63 precision pickup from fender that has a Bass output rating of 7/10. I don't like treble:D:D
    Thank your responses in advance.

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Shouldn’t have any problem reverse diming your tone knob & getting a nice thump with even the pickups you have now!

zie likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe a Dimarzio Will Power DP146?…

zie likes this.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Your not going to find too many “intentionally muddy” Precision or jazz pickups. Like @cataract said, use you tone knob and/or the eq knobs on your amp.

zie likes this.
  5. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'll look into that. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Slater likes this.
  6. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh ok

7. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I use the tone knob on my amp. Bass boosted all the way up and treble and mid cut.

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    what kind of amp are you using?

9. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, right now I'm using my fender rumble 15 amp. Its 15 Watts total :D:D

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    U
    Uh, no. The DP146 is the full-range pickup that is used with the neck pickup in a bi-amp situation. The DP146 is a hotrodded version of the Model-P, and has more grind.

The Fender Vintera pickup has a really smooth characteristic with a lot of low end.
    The Bartolini original series P-pickup was designed for what the OP describes.

And as is traditional, use a .047 capacitor in the tone circuit and roll it off a couple of numbers.

11. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Put your money into a new amp, more watts equals more bass

zie likes this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Cant you just turn up the bass knob? I mean, you are playing a bass. Bass is what's there no matter what cheapo pickups are shoved in anything. Its everything else that good pickups will add to the pallet.

zie likes this.
  13. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh ok, I think the potentiometer I bought is coming with that. I'll make sure its 0.47 capacitor

14. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Now, with either the Fender '63 pickup, the Vintera pickup, or the Bartolini Original pickup, and the 250 kohm audio taper pots, both volume and tone, with the .047 tone capacitor, the final item for the bass is GHS Precision flatwound strings: woody, organic, deep, or as described on the GHS videos: the "chocolate syrup of bass strings." Foam under the strings at the bridge is optional. Run that into a head with a lot of watts to drive the fundamentals, into cabinets with 15-inch drivers to further truncate the top end, and loud enough it will be mistaken for a seismic episode.

zie likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    You’d be surprised how much more clarity you can get with a more flat eq and just rolling the tone knob off on the bass until it’s not “bright” anymore. You’re missing out on a lot of intelligible notes by taking all the Mids out. But too each his own I guess.

16. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yep, that should definitely obliterate all treble, and a lot of the mids, from your tone.

zie likes this.
  17. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thank you very much for the recommendation. I ordered the '63 pickups and the GHS precision flatwounds stings (I got the 45-105). I also ordered a bridge cover:D. I'll be getting a foam and glueing it into the inside of the bridge cover. For the capacitor, do you recommend the 0.47uf or the 0.1uf. Which do you think will produce the deep bass sound? Thank you.

18. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    (Hint: the position of the decimal place matters. A lot.)

zie likes this.
  19. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, I think the 47nf is 0.047uf and the 100nf is 0.1uf

iiipopes likes this.
  20. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    The larger the capacitor, the lower the frequency for the bass rolloff. Yes, some dub players do change out the .047 for either a .068 or a .1. With the .1, rolling off gets you nearly to fundamental, which may or may not blend without overtones with anyone else in the band.

zie likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021