Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups with the most growl

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flury, May 31, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Im looking for some pickups that arent going to deepen my sound but rather make it more growly with some added punch. The ones I found actually advertising this type of sound were the Fender Custom '60s. anyone have experience with them? What about other types that will give me this sound?

2. Pickups with growl?

EMG's come to mind. Give those a shot.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    MEC

4. EMGs have an extremely clean sound. Way too clean in my opinion. I find that Thunderbirds, P-basses and Jazz basses all have growlier tone than EMGs and all those basses use passives.

I would recommend Basslines QPs. They gave me fatter tone (but not too overwhelming) while adding midrange punch and low end growl.

Also, I've heard DiMarzio Model P's recommended for similar applications.

A big part of your "growl tone" is your amp. Properly EQ and don't be afraid to play with a pedal or two if you have the inclination.

5. I didn't find the Fender Custom 60's that growly in a Hamer Cruise Bass that I have, and found that I prefer the sound of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups (although not for their growl). I think that Dimarzio Model-J with a series/parallel mod might be the ticket if we are talking about a Jazz bass. You still can't beat the growl of a Precision Split Coil pickup, I have a vintage precision with a PJ set up that has a nice midrange growl with the jazz bridge pickup volume backed off just a bit.

6. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Hmm Im pretty torn still. Would rather not get any wiring mods done to it this early. Just alittle skepticle. If growl isnt too common application in pickups...whats a real punchy pickup? Somehting like that would be much easier to mold into the sound Im looking for then with what i have now.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Alembic

specificaly the Epic series electronics i think are super growly ( may have something to do with the massive single chunk of walnut they used for the body [ the thing is 2 inches thick! ] )

8. :D