Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jerry oram, Jan 25, 2001.

1. jerry oram

jerry oram

Jan 23, 2001
    Ive heard all types of sounds funk/jazz etc. but is there a pickup set that will give them all. Heard a short scale warwick with active pickups back about 1995 model???? Also having trouble finding websites with pickup wiring

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Check out some music history. Until the late 70s when DiMarzio went into business, there WERE no replacement pickups. You used what was on the bass, ripped a pickup out of some other bass or found some guy who knew about rewinding pickups and had him do a custom set for you (this is how Seymour Duncan got started). In those days, stock off the shelf Fender P and J basses were used in ALL styles of music.

So the answer is: buy a Fender bass and it will do it all.

As far as web sites with wiring info, Fender now has wiring diagrams on line and I think both Seymour Duncan and EMG do as well.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think brianrost is right that you need to have a good pup or two to get a versatile instrument. I would add that if your pots are junk, the replacemnt pups may well not get you anywhere.

Above all, the "get them all" ability is primarily a result of your head and your hands.