Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by woodster, May 21, 2004.

1. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    I`m getting S.Duncan`s SJB-5s on my MIA-Deluxe 5 string Fender Jazz bass.Can anyone suggest a good pre-amp to go with those pups?
    I was thing J-Retro.

It be like it was :bassist:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

In using preamps - EMG BQS, Bart NTMB, and Aguilar OBP-3 - in both onboard and outboard fashion, in typical use I haven't noticed any difference of significance in quality of tone. They're all fairly transparent. The EMG and Aggie have a variable mid which can be useful. I understand the J-retro has a variable mid with lower frequency range than the EMG or Aguilar, which may be more useful for a 5'r - don't play 5's so don't know.

Duncan makes a preamp they call tone control and I tend to lean with preamps made by manufacturers of the same brand pups but I know nothing about the Duncan model.

For 2 bands, I thought the Bart NTBT was definitely superior to the Aguilar OBP-1. NTBT had both boost and cut and more of it. Also the EMG BTC worked real well with the EMG PJ's I had but never made it into an outboard.

Will probably be running (and posting) a conscious comparison between the 3 bands within the next week. Side by side comparison may exhibit some differences I'd never noticed before.