1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by woodster, May 21, 2004.

1. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    I`m getting S.Duncan`s SJB-5s on my MIA-Deluxe 5 string Fender Jazz bass.Can anyone suggest a good pre-amp to go with those pups?
    I was thing J-Retro.

It be like it was :bassist:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

In using preamps - EMG BQS, Bart NTMB, and Aguilar OBP-3 - in both onboard and outboard fashion, in typical use I haven't noticed any difference of significance in quality of tone. They're all fairly transparent. The EMG and Aggie have a variable mid which can be useful. I understand the J-retro has a variable mid with lower frequency range than the EMG or Aguilar, which may be more useful for a 5'r - don't play 5's so don't know.

Duncan makes a preamp they call tone control and I tend to lean with preamps made by manufacturers of the same brand pups but I know nothing about the Duncan model.

For 2 bands, I thought the Bart NTBT was definitely superior to the Aguilar OBP-1. NTBT had both boost and cut and more of it. Also the EMG BTC worked real well with the EMG PJ's I had but never made it into an outboard.

Will probably be running (and posting) a conscious comparison between the 3 bands within the next week. Side by side comparison may exhibit some differences I'd never noticed before.