1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnum783, Feb 24, 2013.

1. magnum783

magnum783

Feb 9, 2013
    Got a question fellers. I have a Mexican made fender jazz bass. I like it and have no plans of change but would like to upgrade the pickups. I have looked at the music shops and just wandered over to fender's website. I am really confused. I am looking for a deeper sound and cut out the buzz I get at some places I play. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Jared
    PS if I posted this in the wrong spot please someone move it I don't want to ruffle any feathers

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Cheapest solution is to try running the pickups in series. If you don't get results from that, there are hum cancelling pickups that should fit the stock routes.

3. magnum783

magnum783

Feb 9, 2013
    I just read my original post I could not have been more vague. I am also trying to get a little more bass and rumble. I play a lot of country bass like the johnny cash, merle, and George Strait type stuff. I would like to gain some more resonance and more of the string bass sound. I know the best way to do that is to purchase a string bass not in my budget. I hope that helps you guys were a big help when it came to purchasing my bass amp so I am hoping I can count on you for the same help with the pickup change.

4. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Might want to try some flats if you haven't yet.

5. What kind of strings are you using?

6. Beat me to it.

7. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    "Great minds" and all that.;)

8. magnum783

magnum783

Feb 9, 2013
    I am using the strings that came on it. I know they are not flats as I have a set of those that will be next the guy at the store told me those would better suit my sound. I just didn't have the money to buy the American version of the J bass so I thought I would upgrade when I got the cash. I have the cash now what do I upgrade to or are you guys saying an upgrade is not needed.

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Start with the strings. If that's insufficient, try rewiring the pickups in series. It won't actually boost the "bass" but will increase output slightly, kill the hum, and shift the mid peak much lower. And it's much less expensive than pickups.

If none of that satisfies, THEN start throwing money at it.

10. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Try some flats first. Most MIM pickups sound pretty good.

11. You'd be amazed at what different strings can do. Go read up on flats in the Strings forum. Don't assume that all are created equal.