Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

picollo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floydbass, Jul 9, 2003.

1. if a bass is 1 octav lower than a guitar and a piccolo bass is 1 octave higher than a bass isnt a biccilo bass a 4 string guitar?????

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    No, because a piccolo bass is still a octave lower than a guitar. It is a four sting baritone guitar however.....just with a longer scale length and wider string spacing.

3. so a bass is 2 octaves below a guityar?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, bass and guitar are only an octave apart.

Therefore piccolo = guitar

A baritone guitar is a 4th lower than guitar.

[edited for typo]

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    JMX is correct. A piccolo is the same pitch as a guitar. However, since the scale length is different, the tone will likewise be different.

6. so why do they call it a piccolo bass instead of 4 string guitar

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Probably due to the similar scale length that it shares with the bass, plus you play it in the same way you play a standard tuned bass.

8. yea that definitely makes sense, the scale, the way to play it and the feel. That's probably why its called a picolo bass rather than a 4 string guitar.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I always thought that a piccolo bass was a 4 string tuned to ADGC, because on Vic's website, he mentions it in his list of gear and the tuning.

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's called a tenor bass.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hee hee. That is, again, correct, but "Tenor Bass" has always cracked me up. Kinda like "Jumbo Shrimp." :bassist:

12. Bass and Guitars are two octaves apart. And the piccolo is in-between. My piccolo bass is definitely not the same as a guitar.

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmmhmmhmm, I just compared the open low E of my Tele copy with the E (7th fret)on the A string of my bass - and guess what, SAME PITCH!

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Simply put, you are incorrect. Period.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ahh you guys are confusing! Let me set it straight:

Bass guitar: EADG (One octave lower than a guitar)
    Piccolo bass: EADG (Same octave as guitar, a standard bass strung with lighter strings, hence the name)
    Tenor bass: ADGC (A fifth higher than a standard bass)

Baritone guitar: BEADGB (A fifth lower than a guitar--similarly a seven string guitar without the high E)

Blah, blah, blah...some poor guy is going to come along confused based on your continuous arguing. I just had to set it straight, and if you're wondering, I've played each and every one of these instruments for quite some time! Now don't get me started on saxes!

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here ya go--the definitive answer. Good job.

17. Basho

Basho Guest

Well, I was going to jump in here, but you got it all. Cheers.

18. you are pretty much correct, except you meant fourths not fifths (a bass tuned eadg is tuned if fourths, there for an adgc is a 4th higher, not a 5th) ;)

if you still dont believe me let me whip out some baisic music theroy. a is the fourth note in the e major scale (as is d~a,g~d,and c~g) therefore a is the fourth of the e major scale. so with that said a bass tuned adgc is a fourth higher than an eadg bass. confusion cleared.

oh and whoever said guitar and bass are 2 octaves apart... you must be a guitar player (hence the stupidity) :spit:

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    D'oh! I missed that. :meh:

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoops, I knew that!