1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PICS: Got to go see the nighttime shuttle launch last week!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 18, 2008.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The wife and I were visiting our best friends in Orlando last week. There was a 2:30am shuttle launch on Tuesday morning. We drove over to Kennedy Point Park in Tustinville to watch it. It was really incredible. The pics don't do it justice (especially coming from my outdated 3.2mp Canon Powershot...digital SLR is coming soon). It was so incredibly bright and this is from 12 miles away if I'm not mistaken.

The clouds completely obscured the shuttle once it passed through them but they did make for a more dramatic liftoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bc

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    AWESOME!

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I really read turtle liftoff in the title :D

Looks like an atombomb btw!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's great. Don't see that everyday. :)

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It blows my mind how much light those rockets give off.

6. I got up and couldn't see a damn thing with the clouds :mad:

Sometimes I can see it perfectly from here.

7. That's so awesome. I really like the 3rd and 4th pictures.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, you really had to be in direct view of the pad to see it with those thick clouds. On a clear day my buddy has been able to see the daytime launches from his balcony in Orlando.

bc

9. First of all, Digs, that was most likely Titusville, not "Tustinville" (never heard of Tustinville? :confused: ), but no matter, cool pics.

One of the very few things I miss about living in Central FL is just what you got to experience: Shuttle launches.

Nighttime launches are amazing, particularly on a nice clear night. I lived most of the time in Clermont, not too far from FL Knifemaker, and you could watch the night launches for a good solid 30 minutes and still see something, on a clear night. Unlike day launches, you can follow the main engines in the dark until they drop below the horizon.

I have two favorite experiences with launches, one a day launch, one a night.

I used to do commercial window tinting, and one of our accounts was KSC (worked for 3M). I was at the Admin building working the day they had the first launch after the Challenger accident. That was VERY moving, people were in tears, and the rumble was overwhelming (Admin is about 3 mi. from the launchpad).

One night launch, back in the late 80's, I was at my grandmother's place just west of Orlando. She lives on the west side of a lake, facing east, directly at KSC. It was a full moon, I went down to the shore, sat on the grass, and watched the launch, the shuttle came up just to the south of the moon...indescribably beautiful.

:)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    yeah, that's it.

bc

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Best friends in Orlando? I thought you and me were best friends. That's it, I'm leaving TB. You hurt my feelings forever.

-Mike

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Very cool. I want to see that someday soon.

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    ... we don't get rockets in Southern California :crying:

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was across the water from the pad and it just disappeared when it hit the clouds. Still beautiful.

15. Wow.. Humans are BA

16. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    don't tell the martians that :bag:

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Seeing a shuttle launch was one of my things to do I wrote on a list when I was a kid. Still haven't seen one. Although I did take a tour of Cape Kennedy

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Brad I never realized that your fence building business crosses state lines now.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That is *really* cool.

I've always wanted to see a launch and about 11 years ago we planned to see one while we were down there on vacation. We unfortunately had to cancel that trip because my wife had just gotten sick with our son and she had round-the-clock morning sickness.

We were in Orlando last November on a short vacation and spent one day with our son at Kennedy Space Center. By sheer luck we got to watch a landing. That was also extremely cool, though I still want to see a launch.

KSC is definitely a place to visit if you're in the area. The whole space program just blows my mind and getting to see so much on the tours was a treat for a geeky engineer like me.

20. Dave -

Everyone should do the KSC tour! :)

I remember the first time I did the Apollo exhibit, walking out of the control room mockup and turning that corner....

:eek:

....that was almost a religious experience!

People got on top of THAT thing, that is larger/taller than the Statue of Liberty, and let them light all that explosive stuff under them?

Huevos. Pure, unadulterated, unmitigated huevos.

When I lived in Orlando, I went at least once a year.

Anyone happen to catch the live HD broadcast from the ISS on Discovery HD last night? That was pretty :cool: stuff.