Pics of a Creased Cone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    truth be told, i've never seen one, and while i hope that i'll never have to, anyone wanna share some pics of what it looks like?
  2. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    bump....I want to see these too.
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Thats a serious crease.... I hope I never see one...

Is this caused by a speaker defect or user abuse?
  4. From what I understand, it's a result of abuse. This one was in a cab purchased on eBay. Happily, the seller offered to replace it, so all is well now.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx steve,

just the thing i wanted to see...

6. That picture shows creasing far worse than I've seen, but the end result is no doubt the same.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

then does anyone have pics of something not so much so?

and does a creased cone make for decreased low end?

i'm only asking cause our church's Ampeg BA115 doesnt have nearly as much low end as it should. i'm literally cranking the bass knob, and still sounds like a thick guitar string.

could the magnets lose power or magnetism?

help a noob out!
  8. Here's the most damaged one I have... look familiar?

Loss of low end and breaks up easily...
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To this day, I do not know what caused this damage, but after talking to the fine people at Thiel, talking to my local dealer and service techs, and having all of the gear involved spec'd out (it all tested fine), we are still somewhat at a loss. We suspect perhaps a DC discharge throught the speaker cable, but the amps tested 100% fine. Nevertheless, I installed new dedicated AC lines and upgraded my amps (from two Adcom GFA-555II's in bridged mono to two Theta Digital Enterprise mono blocks). For the record, I never played these speakers any louder than I drove my Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers, and the bass was not boosted.

The happy part of this story is that even though I was not the original owner (and therefore had no official warranty), Thiel replaced the woofers (and paid for a thorough "go over") for free! Now that's customer service!

10. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hey Joker-

As you may remember, I had a creasing problem with my Acmes a while back that necessitated the eventual replacement of a bunch of drivers.

In answer to your question, the creasing shouldn't make for a decrease in low end on its own unless the speaker itself is actually blown.

The crease you see on the photos from Steve and the other guys is essentially a "fault line" on the cone - basically, an inherent weak spot that means you are on the road to destroying something sooner or later.

My Acme problem was the result of speaker over-excursion that would result any time the Crown Power Tech power amp I was using would clip. Since then, I've upgraded to a Stewart World 2.1 with more than twice the power and haven't had a problem with them since. It's definitely a good idea to watch EQ and not overdo it on the lows - this is why Andy @ Acme recommends not using effects for sub 31 Hz stuff and to carefully break in the drivers over a period of time, to loosen up the speaker surrounds...another mistake I made when I first got them. :crying:

Sounds like the Ampeg might need a new speaker - if the voice coil is fried all the booty is going to be gone.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had some "slightly" creased 10's in one of my 410 cabs once. I let it go. After about 4 or 5 months, I started hearing a very slight distortion, almost like harmonic distortion, nothing troubling though. Over the next few months, it progressively got worse until I replaced the creased speakers. The problem went away.

I think the creased portions are weaker, and get even weaker over time with regular use.

FWIW, I never creased another speaker since I added a second 410 cab to my rig . . .
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i guess a new speaker is due, but oddly, the tweeter is UNBELIEVABLY hissy, too. when idling, its very annoying.

geez lousie, what did they do to this poor amp. :meh:

13. Wow, mine's exactly like that. Actually both of em. Crazy. (slightly creased em delta 10"s. Dunno how I did it.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Generally speaking, creasing occurs what a speaker recieves a very strong signal at the cab's tuning frequency. Lets say for example you cab is tuned to 41Hz. If you feed it a very strong 41hz sine wave, the port does all the work and the speaker cone doesn't move. You're probably thinking "well if the cone isn't moving, it's under no pressure" but that's not the case. It's not moving because it is sustaining very strong pressure in both directons from the electromagnetic force of the signal, and the inverse force of the pressurised air spring inside the cab created by the port.

Did that make sense? It's hard to explain.
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, that was a really good explanation! Makes total sense, Dr. Banner! ;)
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that was a great explanation, thx!

dr. Banner indeed...
  17. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Here's an Eden D-210XLT for you. I do not believe it is common among Eden - I think it's common among 2x10's, which often turn out to be too small for the task.

18. Yep, I double-creased my Avatar 2x10 somehow.
  19. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I use a 2X10 every day, but I have no worries about this.
    Mine are metal!