Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of an abused bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Sep 1, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I recently purchased a very beautiful sunburst F bass. Unfortunately the previous owner did not appreciate its beauty, in addition to two holes up near the bridge pickup where he mounted a pick guard (go figure), it seems he used either an engraving tool or a soldering iron to mark his tone settings, as shown in the pic. I have no idea what would possess someone to do something like this, the previous owner was a gospel performer so I don't think any drugs were involved, but who knows. Functionally the bass is perfect (better than perfect, it's an F bass, 'nuff said), but clearly it has some cosmetic challenges at this point.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, that is weird.

I hope you got a could deal.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, I did. I needed a bass that could get beaten up a little on the road, and this one fulfilled that requirement. It's not exactly your ordinary road rash, but it does contribute to the "character" of the instrument :)

4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    If it is only solder and your really careful about the finish, you should be able to remove the little dabs of solder with no problems.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt care about those markings that much, but thats just me.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, that's like someone carving the words "left" and "right" into the dashboard of a Porche so they know which way to turn the wheel.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that is TOO funny and TOO perfect an analogy!

i'd love a bass of that calibre for a steal that i wouldn't care if it got a ding or 2.

i'd say you're lucky!!!

an "F BEATER BASS!"

what more could one want?

f