Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of another new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nicklloyd, Oct 31, 2004.

1. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Schving!! Very sweet, Nick. Love that variation on the volute -- very classy and nice to have something a bit different...

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Looks great!

When are the sound clips coming?

4. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds exactly like a 250-year old Italian....
    :smug:

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    mmmmm beauty! I want it. One of these days I will round up enough $$ to get a quality DB.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    WOW! Also like the scroll, and the f-holes look great. Varnish looks excellent. That's a helluva piece of eye candy, and if it sounds anything like it looks.............

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I like the F-holes. Very elegant. Tell me about those tuners, they look pretty nice too. I like the scroll too.

8. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    What a BEAUT!
    beautiful scroll detail. this is a new bass? who's the maker?
    congrats.

9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow....that looks great....

Details, man, details....

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazing.... what craftsmanship!!!!

11. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Congratulations man, that looks GREAT...

NUNO

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's just frickin' yummy, Nick. Yeah the scroll is beautiful; in fact the whole thing looks perfect.

Wish I could do like the creepy chick in "The Ring" and crawl in and outta TV sets. I'd jump right into this PC and try that baby out.

13. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The scroll "embellishment" is stolen from a Dearborn bass I saw online somewhere... Dearborn was an understudy of Prescott.

The tuners are from the English company Gallery Strings- Tarr Model, which you can get from Chicago luthier Mark Sonksen.

Savino- this is an instrument I built.

I'm currently building another model like this, as well as a walnut gamba-cornered roundback.

14. Thats beautiful Nick! :hyper:

A few questions while you are captive. Is it a copy? What size is it... dimensions? The varnish technique looks great, do you use tinted varnish or glazing? Do you make your own varnish or is a commercial product. What wood was used and can you comment on it's sound.

Is it sold?

15. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This model is something I came up with, but the outline is based on a Morelli w/smaller corners (I'm sure the Morelli is a copy of something else, I just don't know what). This design is very playable, especially to people who can't get around bigger 3/4 and 7/8 size basses.

The ff-holes are from a Da Salo viola, which I enlarged on a photocopier. The varnish is spirit, I mix my own, and the color is a combination of colored varnish and a glazing-like process.

The spruce is Englemann (Alaska) and the maple is Red Leaf (New England). The sound is very clear and focused, especially in 3rd position and higher. Players have commented that is very even across the register. It has low end, too, but it isn't a "boomy" Prescott-like bass.

Not sold yet; $19,500.

16. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    nice nick
    didn't know you wore the apron. ;) If that's a bass you're going to sell, I'd love to see your private stash. must be mighty fine.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mr Lloyd, that's might fine looking work!

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    We'll have to put it to the "Ken Smith" test before I'll take your word on that. :eyebrow: Can you name it something Italian that sounds expensive?

Beautiful work Nnick. I especially like the "f" holes, scroll, and tuners. You GO, girl.

19. ***** That's five stars from me Nick......Always wonder what the hell you're up to, then BAM!!!! Just outta this world.
    I've seen and played a couple of Dearborns. One, I think, had that nice scroll pattern, but what about the neck butt and button? Is that yours or his? The adjusters must be yours?
    String length?
    Have you tried any jazz type strings on it? Just curious about the pizz. sound.
    Why don't you get John to put this one in the TalkBasses?
    John??

20. Magnificent, Nick.
    Love the voluptuous shape and ff holes, and the scroll.
    Also the back carving/ purfling/ neck heel. As well as looking beautiful it would appear your construction puts more wood in the breakage- endangered neck heel/ button area.
    Would love to see and hear it in person.