Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pics of custom pedal board/case

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Has anyone got any pics of a custom pedal board or case...I'm considering making my own...any ideas would be helpful. BTW is there any out there to buy???

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'll try to snap some photos of one I built over Christmas. Standby.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but what's the point in having a pedal board except for moving your pedals about? Isnt it easier to have them set in a line when on stage?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Having more than 2 pedals to set up every night can be a pain in the arse. I prefer a pedalboard to drop on the floor, plug in three things and I'm set. Much easier to carry, much safer for your pedals, and the setting aren't changed either.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'm not sure I understand your questions. Prior to building my board, I pulled each one out of a box, placed them on stage, pulled out each wire connector, and changed batteries every other gig. Now, I open a small case, pull out a board where everything is secured with vecro, is set up and plugged in, wired with daisy chain cables, a power adaptor, requiring me to plug an extension chord and a guitar cable.

So, to answer your second question, no, it's much easier to pull out one board than to pull out an Octabass, Chorus pedal, Pre-amp DI and a tuner and wire them separately. I'm not sure if I answered your questions.

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    NYC Pedalboards

Mike is a really great guy, and he is a bass player to boot!..

Alex

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Here are some shots of the pedal board. I built this on the cheap.

- Scrap piece of plywood
    - old mountain bike tires cut in 1/2" square pieces and screwed underneath in the four corners. The board will not move.
    - You'll notice the old style EBS pedal that has the in/out jacks on the opposite side. This made pedal placement fun.
    - The adaptor is an EBS unit. It is very lightweight and capable of 110/240 volt operation. It is also capable of powering up to 6 pedals. It is not a traditional transformer, and does not generate any hum at all.
    - The Sadowsky pedal came from fellow TB'r Andy Daventry on a trade just when I was putting the board together.
    - The bass plugs into the Octave>Chorus>preamp. Any signal loss from the pedals gets boosted by the preamp.

The second picture shows my cable. I secured a long extension chord to am 18 foot Whirlwind. No hum whatsoever.

When I get to a gig, I place the board on the floor, roll out one long cable, plug one end into the power bar and amp, the other into the EBS adaptor and 1/4" out on the Sadowsky. The mute switch on the Sadowsky is nice for silent tune ups and when breaking between sets. My only beef with the setup is the battery powered tuner. I'll change that at some point down the road.

The whole shebang fits neatly into an old hard suitcase. I place a pad of bubblewrap on top and underneath the board in the suitcase.

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I got my answer :) I had seen a few pictures of boards before which hadl pedals 'above' other pedals and i could see myself kicking the control knobs on the ones below trying to activate a pedal above...

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You and me both. I'm more concerned about loosing my balance and doing a face plant on stage right.

Guinness time in Geneva.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a NYC pedalboard, it's excellent.

also, time! Time is critical. If you only have to plug one thing in why plug in fifteen?

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    So, those that do use boards dont have problems kicking pedals they dont want to or anything like that?

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nope, and I have more pedals than jesus..

Alex

13. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hey dude, did you hear that mike broke his leg?..

Alex

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. We talked hours and hours before I ordered. Nice guy, and a bigger effects junky than yours truly.

15. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ya mike is cool ****... as soon as my perpetual gass stops I am goinng to order a secind board for my bass effects....

Alex