1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pics of epoxied fingerboards!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CannyBusDriver, Mar 4, 2010.

1. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Misleading thread title, i dont have any pics to post personally, but....
    Post your pictures of your epoxied (or poly'ed) fingerboards!
    Also, if you had them epoxied aftermarket, by someone like Woodwiz or DIY, please state.

2. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Come on people, lets see dem fingahbodes

3. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Sorry for the poor photo....need to shoot some closeups of the gorgeous fingerboard. HG Thor did a lined fingerboard. Wood grain really came alive.

IMG_0213.jpg

4. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    I used to own this beast of a Celinder:

Celinder_18.jpg

I like the way my former surrond speakers were mirrored in this pic:

Celinder_17.jpg

:)

5. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I'll soon post a pic of the beautiful US Custom Guitar jazz neck Harris (HG Thor) did for me. He sent it down to me, and it was beyond words. I purchased a Fender Jaco tribute bass body (the regular sunburst finish production model, not the relic'd Custom Shop), and have sent the body and neck back up to Harris for completion. I think this bass is going to kill....

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Some nice stuff here. I'm on his wait list, but it's going to be a while yet...

7. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    This is my Fender baby. Pic when it was just finished:
    fotos002.gif
    fotos004-1.gif
    Now:
    DSC00945.gif

8. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Ahhh some real nice basses here , isnt HG thor's waiting list like two years or something like that?

9. 2700108172_f19f4eaedf_o.jpg
    2699292505_92d8be670f_o.png
    2699292261_05653029c0_o.jpg

Done by Sam Horn, of Don't Frettt Custom Polymer Conversions (That was the name IIRC, but he's since closed his business.)

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I had Tb'er Erikbojerik do this one

JasonRefin35.jpg

11. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Stunning. I think that if his work were displayed here on TB, he would have been swamped with work.

12. He told me that he closed his business in order to spend more time with his family, so hopefully that means he wasn't having any trouble finding customers or any other financial problems.

13. HG Thor Epoxy finish on my Spector ReBop 5 DLX FM Lined Fretless in Blueburst. it's very much my fretless tone, and when I have the opportunity of pick up a Lull Modern 5 fretless (just to have the different tonality of a Modern Fretless J-Bass) I'll most likely have it done to it as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the economy the way it's been, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a good deal of people have removed themselves from his Wait List. But even if it's still a decent amount of time (1 year+) it's not like you don't have your bass for that time - you have your name listed, he drops you an e-mail when it's time to be shipped out, and you're only missing it for about a month's time (which is how long it take's him to properly apply each coat, cure it, sand it down and repeat until it's at the ideal thickness).

14. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Well his waiting list and pricing is what throws me off. A luthier in chicago can do an extra thick epoxy coat on a neckthrough with a brass nut installion for about 400 or so. With hg thor all that would be around 500-600 dollars. Neckthroughs cost 450, extra thik epoxy is another 100, and a new nut is around 50..... Soooooo, whats the reasonable thing to do? But then again... Ive only heard one review of this chicago guys work compared to hg thor who is pretty profesh and famous etc..

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Canny - bingo. You can either pay for known highest quality, or take a chance on someone more local. I can't say that you would do badly to have someone else do it - putting an epoxy coat on a bass neck is fine work, but it's not rocket science. Plenty of people do it on their own and have great results. OTOH, with HG you know that it'll be done extremely well.

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    What kind of wood is that? Stunning!

17. PZapdos

PZapdos

Jan 23, 2010
    New Hampshire
    so hows the difference in tone?

18. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Well this Chicago luthier is a certified Lakland repairman, and does Lakland quality Polymer and Epoxy coats (if that means anything).

What also factors into this is that I am selling a 450-500 dollar bass (my Warwick Corvette std 2002), and I'm in no position to go over the amount I am getting for selling this Warwick.

He's not some random sort of Epoxy'er, he seems pretty legit. I can't imagine someone charging 400 dollars for an Epoxy job and not completing an up-to-standard job. He also does a phenomenal fretless set up for maximizing Mwah and low Action without buzz, Thor charges for extra for setup.
    I dunno, I'm willing to take this risk, when and if I do go with the Chicago Luthier I will definitely post a long thread and recommend him to many; HG Thor has quite the monopoly in this sort of work.

19. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Ooooo... shiny:eek:

20. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    ya. gotta love the look and distinct sound u get from epoxied fingerboards.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020