Pics of my custom JAF Eidas!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Nov 30, 2004.

1. [​IMG]

Here's my short review/initial thoughts:

Appearance: As you can see in the pics, it's a beauty! The Cocobolo they chose for the body is just stunning. I love it. Even the Pau Ferro used for the fingerboard is a great piece. The Cocobolo overlay on the headstock is just icing on the cake. They also did a nice job of keeping the grain pattern together with the control cavity cover IMO.

Feel: The neck feels great in my hands. Nice and smooth. Nice work, Al.

Sound: I'm really digging the EMG 35DCs and the 2-band EQ. It has a bright, modern sound, but it seems to really cut through the mix well. I'd love to use it when I record again, but there is one main issue with the build quality that might keep me from doing so (read below).

Build Quality: Overall, the bass is very sturdy and well built with only a couple exceptions. The first exception is that the nut wasn't filed deeply enough, which makes it difficult to play particularly on the first fret. My left forearm fatigues very quickly when playing this bass. The second exception is the fret ends aren't all flush with the fingerboard. This may be due to the climate change, though... However, I'll be taking this bass into my local tech for a routine setup, and he'll take care of at least the first problem, which would be a big help. Other than that, this bass it built quite well. It didn't take me long to set up the action when I got it, and I haven't had to touch the truss rod yet. The neck joint seems very solid as well, and all the hardware feels secure.

Overall, for the price, I couldn't have beat it!!!
  2. Just fyi, JAF has agreed to pay to get those items resolved on my bass as part of my lifetime warranty. I'll be taking the bass to my local tech to get the work done.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This may have been part of another thread that I missed, but how much did you pay to have that built? It looks outstanding though, hope you enjoy it!
  4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I like it !!!
    Looks very classy. I´ve always liked Cocobolo tops.
    BTW, is the bass too heavy ?
  5. I bought it when they first decided to start building for customers, so I got a good deal. If you're interested in a quote, try e-mailing JAF at .
  6. Thanks. No, I haven't had any issues with the weight. It may actually be lighter than my Fender Deluxe V, but I'm not sure...
  7. Not gettin' many replies... :bawl:

Not enough strings for ya? ;) :p
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Wow! that's what the Warwick Corvette SHOULD have looked like. No, instead they put "tubular fingers of doom" on it instead of nice horns like this JAF.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I like the classy look, beautiful top and nice knob layout...

How long was the build time on this bass?
  10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  11. I loooooooooove cocobolo tops. And purpleheart stripes. And pau ferro 'boards... :bawl:

Great looking bass, i envy you. :eek: :D
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah it's a beauty. Which JAF isn't anyway ? :)
  13. Well, they were very patient with me. I slowly made payments which began at the end of March 2003. I believe it was completely paid off (except for shipping/insurance/case) during this Summer, then I received it probably a month ago.
  14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Oh, I was just wonder... cause I remember seeing it in your signature line for some time. I looked forward to it's arrival and waited this review.

Thank you, now we TB'ers need some sound clips to go along with these beautiful pix!
  15. My band will begin recording a few originals next Wednesday, so, if I can manage to get the "issues" fixed by then, I'll use it to record at least one song.