Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my DP up to now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedV, Dec 11, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, I've talked about it and mentioned it to a few people but haven't posted the pics. These are the pics I have of my DP as of now. It's finished, but Dave had some REALLY bad weather that knocked out a lot of people's power in NC and hasn't been able to send finished pics.

I'll be picking this up on Friday and will leave a 'first impressions' thread, but won't be home to put up good pics until Christmas.

These are the specs...

6 string fretless/36" scale
    gaboon ebony fingerboard, unlined
    ash body
    burl maple/padauk top
    maple/padauk neck
    1 Bart quad/Bart 9v pre
    Hipshot bridge(18mm spacing)

Enjoy!:)

Alex

[​IMG]

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    The back...

[​IMG]

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Fretboard pic Dave sent to show me the way he's now shaping the freboard into the body.(no sharp edges:) )

[​IMG]

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    pretty nice - you need to keep us posted.

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    No worries there John:) I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Alex

6. Looks great Alex,.. awesome woodwork

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Thanks luis. It took Dave quite a while to get all the striping done on the front and back, but I think it was worth it. And the design was mine:)

I gotta go to bed guys...peace.

Alex

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Cool body shape. Looks like Carl Thompson meets Jerzy Drozd or even Warrior.

edited:spelling

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Wow Alex, that's cool!!! You MUST bring it into the shop!!!! I really wanna check it out...

Have a safe trip man! :D

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    SWEET!! Very cool design!!

11. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    I REALLY like the body shape! Did you come up with it? I can't wait to read your review and I can't wait to get my 5 string from Dave (should be in Feb, i think.)

12. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, it's my design. I was really thinking Warrior with a Carl Thompson scroll:) I'm happy with the way it turned out. Dave helped me with a few problem areas and I can't say I'm not happy with it.

I almost can't wait the two days I have to to get this beast...it's driving me nuts.

Gard,
    Thanks man. I haven't forgotten and will be making a trip to BC as soon as I get back.

Everyone have a happy holiday!

Now if you boys don't mind, I'm off to PASS another final exam:D

Alex

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah that looks nice. The upper horn Looks Carl Thompsonish.. I lik that. Beautiful bass so far. One of the Nicest Dps I've seen yet

14. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    eww me like. Nice body stile to me it looks like a ritter meets warrior meets carl thompson. What kind of wood is that buckeye or chetnut burl?

15. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    mad_world,
    The redwood is padauk. The light brown wood is burl maple, and the plain wood in the neck is just plain maple. I really like the way it looks together.

Craig,
    Any word on your bass yet? Hopefully I'll get a chance to poke around at what Dave's working on now:)

Peace.

Alex

16. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    no word from dave on my bass yet.

while you are visiting dave's shop, please check it out and give me an update :)

your bass looks great. definately post a review and pictures as soon as you can.

thanks
    craig

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Sure will Craig...on both counts:)

Alex

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So what is the quality of DP Basses in general? I remember reading either here or on Bunnybass about someone who got one with a lot of uneven joints and just generally kind of half-assed woodwork. Was that bass a fluke, or was it fairly typical? How do his basses usually feel? I see they are often gorgeous, and I have read that they often sound great, but it would be pretty distracting to be able to feel the edges of the neck laminates, or the neck-to-wing joins.

If this is not rare, would it be worthwhile to order one without a finish and sand it down and finish it myself?

Opinions?

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    tasty... as soon as i sell my smith he's getting an order for a fretless 5.