Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my Fender Jazzes with my EA rig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pitbill, Sep 8, 2003.

1. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Took a few photos of my Jazz basses and my EA iamp 800/VL 208 rig. I also use an Alembic preamp which I a/b for a "2 channel switchable preamp" sort of signal, just for when I desire a little "tubiness" and don't want that all too clean, "uncoloured" sound. My natural colored Jazzes are original 73's, both with super playability and each with it's own favorable sound. The rosewood has a very nice bridge pickup growl...grrrrr....while the maple has a woderful slap tone...snap, crackle, "pop"... with both pickups throttled up!
    Finally I have my Geddy Lee (sort of the baby brother to the other two)...which however, gets more play time and attention than the others. I built the Geddy to be a backup to my maple board Jazz, and I must say, after I installed the vintage '78 tuners, bridge, and covers (I think I'm one of the few who actually plays with 'em on...ha,ha!) the Geddy does have a sound very similar to the "real deal". Bridge pickup has more of a growl tone similar to my rosewood board Jazz though. It also has a very nice action which is just a tad better than the actual '73's. Long live the Geddy! Also added were the '62 reissue tortie guard and thumbrest (yeah, I play with that thing installed too! :D )
    I can finally say that I am completely happy with my current setup which has more tonal possibilities than my actual playing abilities. My next step might be the venture into the elite world of fretless.
    Sorry the pics aren't that great!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just a question, i neve rreally understood what good the thumb rest does there, below the strings?

3. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Actually Figjam, it's completely useless to me. But it seems to be like a reference point for me to rest my right index finger knuckle on sometimes when popping the g-string. I've just gotten used to it I guess, when it's not on there it sort of feels like...well...I don't know...kinda like my fly's unzipped on my Levi's or something... :rolleyes: not really, but like something's missing in a peculiar way. Hard to describe.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Good GOD, man! Talk about DROOL-worthy!!!

To me, nothing is more beautiful, bass-wise, than a nice Jazz bass.

Consider yourself envied, my friend!

5. Where is the 5th string?!

Haha, anyways, nice basses :):)

6. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Thanks for the compliments. It's taken me a few years to find the just the right basses I was looking for. You're right Planet B. Nothing like a good 'ol Jazz I guess. I've gone through many brands of basses including Alembics, Warwicks, and Music Man, but I always go back to a Jazz. I guess I'd mainly just like to stay as simple as possible when it comes to my basses (I'm not a tech junkie by any means). The most complicated part of my whole rig is still trying to figure out the eq on the iamp, but it's hard to get a bad sound out of it any way I adjust it, so I don't lose any sleep over it!:p

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The thumbrest below the strings is actually the *finger-rest* and it is there to anchor your fingers while playing with your thumb. If you want to hear that big fat Fender sound try that!

Players who were using fingerstyle technique would take it and re-position it to the E string side, and it eventually became a factory location.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You've gotta love those blocks! ;) Great basses pitbill. You have three pretty rare color combos, especially with the Ash/RW and Black/maple....you just don't see those too often.

9. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    I hear ya Fretlessrock, I use the "grab bar" approach just for fun every now and then. I really don't understand why it took Fender nearly 14 years to factory reposition it above the strings though. Seems if your going to use something like that, that would be the better location, although that would really be in the way for my ol' fat thumb to bobble on! :D

I think you're very right about the color combination LPJ. I bought the ashe/maple first and then wanted a ashe/rosewood of the same year to sort of "match" if you know what I mean. Talk about a hard puppy to find. Too bad I didn't realize many years ago I'd be settling on a good ol' broken in Jazz to be my main payer, I wouldn't have had to pay the premium prices of todays demands. :rolleyes:

10. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Yes when the electric bass was first invented there was no technique established yet and It was assumed you'd play with your thumb and mount your fingers below the strings.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My compliments to you on your beautiful Jazz basses!

I see you that have one of the newer iAMP 800s with the cool black nobs. You're on the cutting edge!

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Man oh man you have a beautiful stable of Jbasses from one Jbass user to another. I been sitting here drooling over the 73 Nat/Maple w Blk/blocks.
    I'm a huge sucker for Maple with black blocks
    [​IMG]

13. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    I've gotta say GFAB and BASSART that the EA gear does sound great. I'm not a technical junkie and can't give all of the complicated specs (that's why I tend to stay away from the EA threads right now ;) ) But I know what sounds good to my ears. I've been through most of 'em Ampeg SVT, SWR, GK's, blah, blah...but for weight vs. power vs. sound, it just doesn't get any better for me. I don't want to turn this into an amp thread, but I will say the 208's are quite amazing. As far as those black knobs, according to Gary at EA, I received the first one with the new color knobs. EA...great products...great people...!

I'm with you FUNKSTER, the natural ash, maple board/black blocks is perhaps my all time favorite color. Funny though, when you're looking to buy one there not to be found, other times they're popping up like weeds on the market! The natural/rosewood was actually a little harder to find for some reason. :confused: