Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    60's classic and Jaco sig.
    Don't need much else.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice. Would have been better if the pic was a little bigger so I could see them better though. ;)

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Ryan, this was my first attempt at posting pictures, hence the double post. I'll get better at it but it might not be pretty at first! lol.

Kevin

4. You did fine. I've seen plenty this size. The ones I have problems with are the ones that spread clear across my screen and THEN some...

LOVE the looks! They rock! (Sorry!!!! They JAZZ!) ;)

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was just joking with ya, I am not too good at posting pics either. :)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What color is that 60's? It looks like root beer in the thumbnail.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It says "Burgundy Mist" in the Dr's profile Jimmy.

Nice basses, Kevin! But you DO need more, trust me on this one... ;)

How you finding that Jaco compared to other fretless J's? Have you had the chance to make any comparisons?

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Yeah the 60'2 jazz is Burgundy Mist metalic. According to my inaccurate bathroom scales both these basses weigh 9.5 lbs. I do believe that a more accurate scale would show the Jaco to weigh at least a couple of oz. lighter, it feels that way to me. The Jaco is really beatifull, the piece of alder they used for the body would look right at home on a Sadowsky or other high end bass and the fit and finish is beautiful. I bought it used for $800 and the previous owner added a Gotha bridge and my have replaced the pickups. The pole pieces look a bit different than the ones in the other jazz and they sound a bit warmer and fuller. Also, this is the only Fender I have seen with a black nut. The neck is razor straight, has some nice flame in the maple and the finger board is of course coated which makes for some very nice mwah. I also have it strung with Fender Super Bass rounds which I like alot better than flats on this bass. I don't have much experience with other fretless basses but I can say this is the nicest Fender I have played. As far as the 60's jazz goes, I believe it is by far the best bang for the buck in the Fender line. Plays great, sounds great and if you like the vintage vibe it's got that going for it as well. Sometimes when I'm feeling naughty I'll put on the chrome pickup cover and it looks very cool, I'll post a pic. Grat for slapping with DR high beams. This is my main bass which is a little sad becuase I have a incredible Thumb neck-through that gathers dust now because of this $575 jazz!

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Oh yeah, one more thing. The fret board on the Jaco is Pao Ferro. You can clearly see the difference in the photo. Not sure if it makes a difference in the tone but it could be one of the reasons for the slightly warmer tone.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Very nice!

I've finally just realized that I can find no other bass I like more than a good jazz. I've bought several other basses since I got my Jazz and I keep going straight back to it everytime.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    a couple more

Attached Files: