Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of My Main Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Moderately priced rig, but you'd never know it if you heard it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quadzilla

Main rig consists of:

Gemini Power Conditioner (with line voltage meter)
    Sabine RT 7000 Rack Tuner
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200 HD Head (1200 watts)

LeCompte ST-5 Bass (my main axe, but I have others)

Other rigs:

For practice and small to medium (even semi-large) gigs:
    AMP BH-420 Head

Practice at home:
    Alesis Bassfire 60 Combo Amp
    Kustom KBA16 Combo Amp

Effects/Pedal tuners:
    Boss ODB-3 Overdrive
    Boss CEB-3 Chorus
    Fender PT-100 Pedal Tuner
    AXL Powered Pedal Board

A cat that I used to own, shredded some of the rat fur on the 2x10 (it's not as bad as it looks). I bet you can't guess why I got rid of the cat? ;)

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    that groove bass is sexy. sure can't wait till i can get one

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Two q's: did you paint the stock Avatar horns, or are those "something different?"

What rack bag? I just got a gator I like a lot....

5. Quadzilla

Yes, painted the horns silver
    Gator bag and I love it (and I've owned other bags and hard rack including Groove Bag, Gator and SKB).

6. awesome rig!!! tons of power... can't go wrong there.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Man, I tired real hard to like the SB112...the box is great, the 12 is great, but I loathed the crossover and horn.

After replacing the corssover, and actually buying a replacement horn, I sold it and bought a Schroeder 1210.

I really wanted to like it. Man, that thing really produced some awesome lows....

8. Quadzilla

Is the Schroeder that much better?

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Well...yeah... :D
    I had ~$250 in the SB112, and another $60 in Gary's crossover (which helped a lot), and another $40 in a replacement peerless 1" silk dome tweeter (again, a lot better)...and it was good...good enough probably...

Except that I already had a Schroeder 410 that I love, and have never had to argue with. So, found a buyer for the SB112, saved $ from a few band jobs, and upgraded. It wasn't that much more...

I could go on, but there's plenty of Schro detail in the megathread, I don't want to muck yours up.

10. Quadzilla

Yeah shame that Schroeder has recently risen their prices considerably. I'll keep saving. Meanwhile, what I have sounds pretty damn good! I've had others compliment my tone. I have enough power to keep the 3 guitarists in my band at bay (I'm competing with a Crate Blue Voodoo tube head with a 4x12 vintage 30 cab, a Vox 2x12 rig and a Mesa Boogie rig)!

11. Quadzilla

If nothing else, I could order one of those new crossovers from Avatar for now...

12. yo quadzilla - I see you've got a Kustom 16-watt practice amp...

Just wondering, coz I got one of those and I'm in love with the sound of it but would like a louder one for a possible rig...

Does the Groove head sound the same in terms of tone and general timbre?

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I really liked the big fat low of the SB112, which has a nice vintage feel. Unfortunately, you're right, and it can't keep up with my 1212. I tried to use them both together to get the best of both worlds, but the SB112 kept bottoming out before the 1212 even started sweating.

14. I'm diggin it lets see it again ;)

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Quad: if you choose to pursue the "mod your avatar route," I recommend Gary "LoveThatBass" crossover. More expensive than the new avatar, but much, much better. Also, find the "demise of the peerless tweeter" thread, and order one or two of those from madisound. I found those to be very helpful in improving the av sb112...or just turn the tweeters off;)
    Not everyone has the same ear for piezo tweeters, I find them bothersome and harsh...If the avatar horns sound fine to you-and they do to a lot of people-then don't bother:)
    To me, the Avatar horns and double bass were a bad mix.

16. Quadzilla

Thanks for the compliments guys! The rig is a great one. I'm sure that I'll be gassing for other stuff in the near future. I'm thinking Thunderfunk head and Schroeder cabs are next for me!

17. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Very nice, I think we need to see a picture of the pedal board as well !!

18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    How is the tone of the 1x12" + 2x10" compared to that of a 1x15" and 2x10"? Reason I ask is cuz I'm running an Avatar 2x12", but I'm looking at moving to 15 + 2x10 for better punch as well as B string thump.

Looks like a fantastic rig. Couldn't have cost more than, what... $1200 for the head and cabs?

19. Quadzilla

I like the 1x12 and 2x10 setup. I had a 1x15 and 2x10 for a while and also a 1x15 and 4x10. The 1x15 seem to go a hair lower, but also a bit less defined than the 1x12. I really like the 1x12 and 2x10 setup a lot. Very portable too!