1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pics of my new/old Grecobacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodl2005, May 1, 2009.

1. Got this baby a few days ago....... '78 model in OHSC!!!!
    AMAZING condition for that old. Am gigging it for 1st time tonite, but played it for a few hours the other nite -at home... & after being told to 'shut-up' by the rest of the household-Wife & (grown up) kids- had to sadly put it away... coulda got out the headphones I know, but It WAS getting late & I DID have to work the next morning..........:bawl:
    Nice to play, LOVELY warm sound.... will report on gig asap.
    pics:-

grecoric3.

Greacoric1.

greciric4.

grecoric.

MMMMMMMM :) I like it!!!!!!! :hyper: What U guys think????:cool:

2. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    its a beaut!!!

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Sweet, love the binding!

4. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    Nice ! You get that badboy from Tym's ?

5. Nah, private sale. ;) can't wait to ply it out 2nite in our 'classic rock' band!!!!!

thanx for the replies too!:bassist:

6. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Congrats! Love the checkerboard binding! :smug:

Those Grecos are sweet and yours looks brand new! :bassist:

7. It does!! There's a "Li'l" bit of tarnish on SOME of the chrome-ie. tuners & bit's of bridge... Oh NO!!! ;-) But apart from that..... looks new. Hardly ANY fret wear! Still actually has the orig GRECO polish cloth & sales tags!! Ha! Am now just killing time- feeding/grazing-like a cow- B4 the gig. So I'll report on how she goes at tonite's gig, within the next day or so.
    Anyone with any info on these... I'd LOVE to hear it. I know they were made in Matsumoko factory Japan blah blah... but any links/info - would be appreciated!
    Thanx,
    Rod

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    FYI: the pickup cover is incorrectly installed, those triangular ends are supposed to be inside the metal housing, not the outside.

Lovely bass, though!

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Nice bass. I'd get rid of the thumbrest and replace it with one of these:

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICRest.html

If you want a real vintage look, pick up one of Tony's vintage plexi pickguards while your there. He makes great stuff.

It really is a nice bass.

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Subscribed!

Very cool bass, I have to agree with everyone on the binding as well, stellar.

I'm greatly looking forward to reading your impressions of this instrument. I've always wanted a Ric but at this point if I was shelling out close to $2000 I would go the custom route and get something personal and special to me.

With that, how much do these go for? How do they compare price wise to a real Ric? How close are these to a real Ric in terms of tone and playability?

Awesome that it's Japanese and made in the Matsumoko factory. I have a love for Aria Pro II's and have one from the Matsumoko era.

Thanks for sharing.

-Benny

11. beauty.

12. looks like a great bass, I want one real bad,you are very lucky.

13. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Great Score......!!

14. Thanx for the info re the pup cover!!! I thought sumthin' was 'amiss' there!!! :rollno: I never owned a Ric B4(still don't really but......)

Thanx also Lowendblues- for the link to the thumbrets!! I added that to my faves for a look in time.
    Gottta go now- will write my review of gig asap.
    Thanx for all the remarks & kind comments!:cool: