Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my new (used) Ric....4003s8

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incubus2432, Jan 17, 2005.

1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I was trolling the internet a few weeks ago and found this '98 Ric 4003s8 for sale at the Dudepit. It was cheap enough that I couldn't pass it up. It sounds amazing (HUGE) and plays great....not much of an adjustment coming from my two 4 string 4003's. The only problem is that since I am a finger player it is kinda hard on the digits but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.
    The condition is like new. A few neck tweaks and it was ready to go. I added the Barts since I had a spare set laying around and now it matches my other two tone-wise. I think it was the lure of the darkside that got me.....I have been craving a JetGlo for some time now. I'd post sound clips but have no ability to do so....... :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Schweet. :cool:

I always wanted an s8 to add too my group.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I "needed" another Ric and since my Lemmy has taken so long I had to get something to hold me over :bawl:

I highly recommend that you pick up an s8 if the opportunity presents itself. I bought this one thinking that I might just hold onto it for a few weeks and sell it on Ebay for a tidy profit but after playing it I don't think that I could do without it in my arsenal.

4. Keep faith bro...ya know that Lem will come one day...and ya know its gonna kick serious anal.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How are the octave strings attached? I know their headstocks usually have extra tuners in wierd places on their 12 string guitars..

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    In the pic you can see that there are 4 tuners per side on the headstock and they feed through the standard Ric tailpiece at the rear.....nothing odd/special.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoops, forgot to open my eyes... :)

8. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Congrats. New (to you) stuff is always fun!

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool!. I'd love to come across the lefty version of that Ric!

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or you could learn to play righty ;)

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Are you gonna sit here and tell me you found that on my site and I didn't catch it????????

Man, I must be getting old. :rollno:

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats, that's a nice one!

I've got Barts in my Rick as well... I dig what they do for my tone.

13. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Yep.....I think it was only on there for a few minutes when I emailed the guy and had it all locked up. I got it for $1385 (shipped).....the few I have seen pop up have sold for somewhat more (with the rare exceptions, of course).

That's the 2nd time you kinda hooked me up.......about a month or so ago you bid on my 4003SPC Tuxedo on Ebay for one of your regular customers that was out of town. You were very helpful in that transaction and I appreciate it.

Now if you can directly (or indirectly) somehow become involved in a deal involving me and a Blackstar then I'd be set :eek: :bassist:

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Oh that was you on the Tuxedo???? LOL...small world!

Scotty was out of town and called me and asked me to bid on it for him. Your Tux has gone to a very safe place! Scotty has one the world's largest bass collections that I am aware of (over 500 at last count).

I can't help you on a Blackstar but I do know where there is a "Shadow" that may pop up soon.

I had a sweet Blackstar a few years ago and sold it to a buddy who just "had to have it" and begged me for it...I sold it to him for only $750 only to find out he traded it to a dealer within days for a $1,400 used USA Lakland 4-94 Deluxe.

Grrrrrrr...last time I bought into that trick!!!!

15. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    A Blackstar for a Lakland....shame on him :rollno:

That's a pretty bogus stunt to pull on you....sorry to hear that.

If you have an email list.....put me down for a Blackstar or Shadow and drop me an email if something pops up. I may be short on "fun money" since I just bought the s8 and am hoping my 4004LK is in soon (according to John Hall the 4004LK run should be done by early summer).....but I'm always looking :D

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah, well he didn't keep the Lakland long either but I sure wish I had kept that Blackstar!

Right now I'm playing a 4004L that's been retrofitted with a set of Fred Hammon's Dark Star pickups but the neck on this bass is huge...I'm getting used to it but it just really feels chunky to me.

Attached Files: