Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of My Nordstrand Short Scale Six Nearing Completion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Feb 10, 2006.

1. Hi,
    It's been almost 2 yrs. since I first researched ideas and performed my at home "science" experiements via helpful advice from the Luthier's Forum folks on talkbass, but my Carey Nordstrand built Short Scale Six String is finally nearing the finish line!!! :hyper:

Due to the inherent uniqueness of this project I've resisted posting about it here all this time, in order to give Carey the opportunity to design and built this instrument without having to deal with requests for info. and comments from the "multitudes" out in cyber space. Being somewhat experimental and Carey's first/only neck through design he didn't need that! :ninja:

It turned out to be a LOT more work than Carey was anticipating initially. It entailed some CAD programming, retooling, and other generally unknown territory and the poor guy has probably regretted taking it on more than once but being the consummate craftsman he is, he's ultimately kept the faith!

It's been a long road but as you can see, Carey's incredible woodworking skills are looking to make the long wait both exciting and rewarding in the end. It sounds like we're a couple of months out from delivery.

The specs are: Macassar Ebony top
    Ash body
    Figured maple accent layer
    Camphor Burl Back
    Figured maple centerstripe
    Neck Through Construction
    Macassar Ebony Headstock Veneer
    White Neck Binding (considered Cream initially/pics)
    Gold Hardware
    Custom Pre Amp (from a builder aquaintance of mine) and
    Pickups from Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop (Although
    we may use Carey's pickups also/instead.

17degree angled headstock and some through body
    stringing in an attempt to get as defined a Low B as
    we can. Also I've chosen a brass nut and extended low
    B stringing. All "voodoo" so we don't need to "go there"
    but what the heck, I LIKE Vodoo.

At the time I initially ordered, it was still common for Carey to use other makers' pickups (Adrian's F Bass pups, etc.) and aftermarket pre amps.
    Carey was just getting his pick up biz underway at that time. For the record I've played his basses and pickups at his shop and they sound fantastic and I unhesitatingly recommend them,so they might have and might still be selected "down the road".
    His pickup production is now in full swing and he uses them exclusively (I believe) and is finishing development of his own preamp- as those who've followed that aspect of his business know so check 'em out!

If worst comes to worst I'll string and tune this bass EADGCF but "we're" doing our best to get the best low B projection we can and that's our preferred tuning all along for this bass.

The (Keltic Knot) inlays were done separately for me, by Larry Robinson whose work I've admired and wanted to own for over 20 yrs. I really appreciate Carey being willing to work with Larry and me, shipping my bass back and forth in order to make my dream come true.

Now that we're hopefully, truly in the "home stretch" I'd appreciate hearing your comments. Please DON'T contact/harrass Carey as it has already been established that this short scale six will remain one of a kind. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions I can, here.
    So...what do y'all think of my baby?

2. Here's the front and back:

3. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Congrats Jim, I have been waiting for pics of that one!!:hyper:
    Looks like its getting really close.
    It looks great, I love the top. I wish Carey or Stew would have taken a pic
    of the whole bass though.

Dan

4. that looks very nice

lowsound

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Very nice... killin inlay's. grats.

6. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    OH MY GOD!
    Where to start??
    That looks unbelievable! Fantastic inlay work! I think that is the most intricate inlays Carey has put on any of his fretboards. It's not a feature I think he typically offers (much like Bee and JP basses).
    I'm sure your research was a big part of how fun the process has been but it's gotta be exciting to know it's nearing completion!
    I hope it turns out to be EVERYTHING you wanted and all of the experimentation pays off!
    I have small hands and the thought of a short scale six is very interesting!!! I started to create a scale drawing of one for a future project of mine so I am looking forward to read your review once you get a chance to post one!

Thanks for sharing and I'll be keeping my eye on this thread!!:hyper:

Jon

7. Hot!

Those inlays look awesome

8. Here's a not great pic/just a quickie shot from an old email-only one I've got so far.

9. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Awesome! Even the back is beautiful. It will be spectacular when it has a finish on it!

I want a top like that back! :)

10. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Here's a not great pic/just a quickie shot from an old email-only one I've got so far.

Thanks!! I like it! I'm looking forward to your review.

Dan

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Great looking instrument.

Maybe I simply can't see it, but what scale is it? 30"?

12. Teacherguy, the inlays are Larry Robinson's work. I think it's likely that this is also a one time/one off thing. I was hoping that the mutual connection between these great artists (Carey and Larry) would be mutually beneficial to them both, business wise even if it only happens this one time.

THANKS everyone for your enthusiasm regarding my dream instrument. It's very gratifying and is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling after such a long long time waiting for it. I'll be very proud to have one of Carey's wonderful instruments as my main instrument in concerts and on recordings.
    I actually got a recording session gig offer today just because the engineer/producer wants to see and hear it when it's done. How often does that happen?

13. bassmonkeee,
    Sorry, I should've said: It's a 30" scale.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  15. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  16. Hi Jauqo! Great to hear from you! Yes, I turned 54 waiting for it! ;) Well...guess I would've turned 54 anyway..... By the way everyone, I owe Jauqo III-X a debt of gratitude. He was kind enough to send me a very big, fat string when I first started researching/experimenting with the "prototype" Bronco-nstein for this project and advised me concerning things I could try to get as tight a low B as possible. (check out his Subcontrabass CD project(s). Thanks again Jauqo! I hope one day you'll have an opportunity to check out my Nordstrand and see where "we" ended up.

Cliff, Thanks! That's a real compliment coming from another very fine luthier! I also owe Cliff for his pics and affirmation of my considering using the "extra" angling on my headstock back in '04-he features an 18 degree angle on his basses . I hadn't looked at your website for a long time Cliff. Your basses are looking incredible!!!

17. Looks cool.

What's up with the headstock/tuner arrangement?

18. Very nice, Jim! I love Carey's single cut shape.

19. Hi Geoff, Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the low B will be an extended string reaching up to the top hole of the peghead if that's what you're wondering about. Some of the aforementioned "voodoo".

Thanks Bernie. Yes, I liked his single cut shape the best out of many I considered. For me, it was mostly that lower/rear bout. I sometimes like to play classical guitar style/seated and I think that extra weight/length there will make it balance nicely for that position. We'll see...