Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my Rick Turner Electroline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I borrowed a friend's digital cam, so I am in 'pic posting' mode! :D

These are pics of my '98 Rick Turner Custom Electroline 35PM. This bass was custom-ordered by a guy in Texas. He specked 35" scale (4-string Electrolines are 34" usually), and partial fretlines under the E-string only.

Before I took delivery, I shipped it to Mike Lull. Mike installed a Bart 9J, a blend pot between Diamond-T pup and the Bart, and did a complete setup.

Controls are Magnetic Pups Blend, Piezo/Magnetic Blend, Master Volume and Master Tone. Body is oiled swamp ash, with maple neck and pau fero fingerboard. I also installed a switchable Elias Martinez Mute.

With piezo on, this bass sounds almost like a double bass, especially with mute engaged. Diamond T sounds pretty much like a good P Pup, while Bart gives me that typical Jaco tone. Construction, fit and finish are amazing, amd Mike Lull's setup was also impeccable.

For anyone looking for a good, flexible fretless, take a look at Electrolines.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Body shot

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Headstock

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Close up of fretlines

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    One more. I really like this - bass looks unlined from a distance, but when you play it, you know where you are - best of both worlds.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Pic of mute in OFF position

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Mute engaged

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Mute fully engaged. Lever is very easy to reach, and easy to flick with small finger of my right hand. each mute has an allen-key adjustment to precisely control the amount of muting.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Back of the bass. Rick Turner has an interesting way of adjusting the pup height, from the back. That makes front of the bass very 'clean'.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The shape of the neck pickup always throws me, totally clashes with the rest of the design.

Rick Turner might be a great luthier, a great designer he is not. YMMV of course.

11. NICE BASS!

...i like the neck pup, he should turf the bridge one if ya ask me :)

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Not sure what 'turf' means in this context?

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I played one of these basses recently. Great, great instrument. The one I played had only the piezo pickup and TI bronze wound strings. It was a fretless. What a sound!! And a really great neck.

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yeah, neck is 1.5" at the nut (like a Jazz), but with thinner profile. Combine this with an oiled back, and this neck is FAST. Also, on my bass, action is ridiculously low..so much so that I need the mute to kill some of the mwah when I don't want it.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That Rick Turner. He so crazy.

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Talking of Rick Turner...I sent the bass to Mike Lull to install magnetic pup balance pot and Bart J. Mike called Rick to ask him something about wiring.

Rick gave him all the info, then sent Mike a matching knob - free of charge! We need more guys like Rick Turner.