Pics of my Salas :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 25, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Yes, its been 2 years since I had my Salas! Crazy eh? (Since ppl on TB know that I sell/buy basses ALL THE TIME). Its still my favorite bass of all time (use it for my band for gigs and recording)

I know some people were wanting some pics of this bass.. so here it is! Before we move on.. Specs

Body: Alder
    Top: Quilt Maple Top (Lovely)
    Neck: 1 piece Maple
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Headstock: I dunno.. u tell me :p
    Electronics: Seymour Duncan STC-3A Preamp
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan ASB 5 String Soapbars
    Strings: Changed from DR 50-110s to DR LoRider 60-120s!! sound much better (Tuning C# F# B E)

Here is my Lovely Salas!!! Yeah, u can see lots of wear near the neck PU

2. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Damm, nice bass, too bad only a 4 string. I like the quilted (alder?) top. I have never heard of a Salas before, where can you try one out?
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    sorry, its Quilted Maple.... Salas is making basses for BassAlone in CA... so the only place you can find is there... unless there are used goin around (which i Doubt) .. Tim salas makes some AWESOME basses!

You wouldn't believe the price I got for my Salas.. $900 and $1000 with shipping and case.. Crazy eh? But that was 2 years ago, I think Tim raised his prices... I heard MegaAnus was getting a Salas made... but I dunno..
  4. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    so it's a 4 string with 5 string pickups or am i just confused?

beutiful by the way
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    personally i don't like the headstock design, but the bodt is really nice, similar to the Zon. and those pickups are wonderful sounding ones!!

ps. how ended your "love story" with that Zon you bought?
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, that's absolutely beautiful woodwork. The bass isn't my personal style, but I'm sure it's an amazing instrument! Contratulations, I can't believe the price you paid.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I was wondering what that bass looked like.. it does remind me of a Zon in a way. I don't care for the headstok design. but its still a great looking bass
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yah lots of ppl don't care about the headstock.. but then again, its unique... and alot better than those wishnevsky ones :)
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

That's looks like an exact copy of the Zon Legacy..

Aren't there laws that prevent people from doing stuff like this????
  10. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    It doesn't remind me of Zon at all............yes it does!!! it's exactly like a Zon, why do ppl do that???????
  11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    uhh,, maybe it was unintentional? :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps Salas is to ZON what R Bass is to Fodera!
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    no, i told Tim Salas that I wanted Something like a legacy body (I have a thing with legacies! :D) but yah.. it came to my house looking exactly like a Zon legacy.. i don't know if Joe Zon has anything to say bout this but I own a Zon Sonus! lol

I must say, if anyone has a chance of trying a Salas, I urge you to try it.. The Deal I got was better than a Stingray and I think its a bass that can outrun a Stingray.. just IMHO

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hehe, when i first glanced over the title, i thought it said " Pics of My Salsa :)" and i thought.. MMM, good ol chips and salsa, then i realized what forum i was in, and re read it....

Nice bass, headstock funny, but yes, original...

what happened with your Warwick?

Edit: Looks like your missin' a knob, MMkay?
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice bass, dm. i remember this one. do you still have the zon you got last year?
  16. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Sold it to a guy in California, which he loved the bass when he got it :) thank god...

and yes I know the knob is missing.. its all godo.. its the pickup selection knob.. i dont' worry about it :)
  17. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    still have it.. but im having second thoughts.. i want a 4 string fretless!!! im a 4 guy.. sorry :( damn hands are too small :( (Peter McFerrin knows, he saw me play the Zon 5)
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    SOME ONE TAKE BAD MP3s of my Salas... u can definitely tell that the Ebony board is working.. no EQing or anything.. all flat :)

Sorry about my newbie skillz :D

and that tapping i did, was just a test.. never tried tapping
  19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    then what was that tapping thing you posted a while back?:confused:
  20. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    BTW!! For the mp3, PLEASE RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS! or else it won't work :(

and sorry that I sound sorry, i put on 60-120s when im used to 50-110s.. makes a huge difference and I love it :)