Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of my "Vintage" rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Feb 21, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Formerly James Hart's Sunn Sceptre, with a Univox 2x15 I picked up used for 80 bucks, and immediately blew the drivers in. :spit: I then replaced the two drivers with a Weber Ceramic Chicago & a Weber Ceramic Thames. This rig sounds absolutely killer. Tons of balls, tons of crunch, yet still extremely clear. When cranked up fully, I have to have the bass at 1 (or 2 if I want a painful amount of low end), midrange at 10, treble anywhere, mid boost on. With this, I get the cleanest, crunchiest bass sound ever. Think Entwistle at Woodstock on "Pinball Wizard." Lots of harmonic sustain and feedback as well. Yet still allows dynamics to shine through. It's also LOUD. Very loud. I couldn't imagine needing anything louder. Shakes the house. I want to add a 4x12 though, anyways. :hyper:

Oh, and the bass is a 1972 Fender Precision bass. :cool:

2. Looks sweet! I love the deep sound of a 2x15. Nice bass too :)

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    A trip down memory lane for some of us old geezers. It's a beautiful rig. My dream is to find a mint condition Sunn 880 head and a Coliseum Slave to go with it. I sold my Sunn gear in 1971, what a moron. :meh:

4. How loud? What are you 'competing' with, & what's the wattage of your head? Looks good, BTW.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Right now a Fender Bassman 135 running with two power tubes pulled, at 4 on the master volume & pres cranked with a boost pedal for overdrive through a Mesa/Boogie 1x12. I bury it with my Sceptre on 10. 8)

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    What exactly was the 880 like? I know JE used one, but I can't find any information on them.

7. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Your rig LOOKS awsome man. I love the vintage look.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ox,

I have a special place in my heart for the ole' 1970s growling tube bass tone! I'm sure that your rig has that killer '70s tone.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wow, sounds nice. 4x12 and 2x15 Would absolutely kill. That's alot of low end there. Gotta love the vintage look and sound.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Looks Great Sean!

I got the Sunn fro the classifieds here @ TB from patrickj

I'm glad it's doing what ou need to to do :bassist:

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The Sunn Coliseum 880 is a rare amp that was made for one (maybe 2) years before the Fender buyout if I recall

It is supposed to be a super charged Coliseum which in its own right it insanely loud anyhow. Match that with a Sunn Poweramp and you are tearing off rooftops.

*starts GASing for a Sunn 2x15...

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, you're using Webers for bass? That's pretty awesome dude. I have a pair of California's in my Twin Reverb, but I only use it in the studio, at least for bass, my guess is the cones would probably fly right across the stage if I used them for live bass work. Ted is the Man though, when it comes to speakers. His stuff is some of the best in the industry. Personally I like the Bag End's for bass, they have a totally awesome sound when they're pushed "right to the breaking point". Which is hard to do, 'cause they're way under-rated. The earlier ones are the best sounding, too, IMO. :)

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I believe the 880 which was rated at 300 watts became the post-buyout Coliseum Bass with the red knobs and different faceplate. I don't know how rare they were as I knew three other guys in town that had them. Up here in the Seattle-Portland area in the late sixties and early seventies, most guys used Sunn, Ampeg or Acoustic bass heads. Back then buying gear wasn't all complicated like it is nowdays. And your cabinet choice was even easier. 8x10's or 2x15's and the more cabinets the better. :D

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Sunn Coliseum was a 300 watt solid state amp from the same era ('70s) as the Coliseum Lead amp that Chris Squire used and the Coliseum Bass amp that Tim Bogert and others used.

The preamp includes a 5 or 6 band graphic type EQ albeit one with rotating knobs rather than sliders. I don't recall if it had an onboard distortion circuit, but it may have (like the Concert Bass head of the same era).

Here's a small photo of one that I found via a google search. I have a '75 Sunn catalog at home if anyone wants a larger and more detailed photo...

Oh...nice rig OX!!!! BTW, what kind of 4x12 are you looking for?

15. I had a later-than-the-one-in-the-pic model- SUPER loud, & as I recall, fairly tube-esque. Lots of jacks, too.

16. dunharrow

dunharrow

Feb 22, 2005
    Minneapolis MN
    That looks like a really nice head. How do you think it would hold up against two Mesa triple rectifiers and Mesa 412 cabinets. I have been eyeing that particular head up for a while. I want something real loud and reliable.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Collisuem's sounded nothing like a tube Sunn, or any other tube amps though. Very loud for their day but not real toneful. I had one as a loaner while my head was being rebuilt after a power-urge cooking ... (this is maybe '76 or so...) I was more than happy to have it 'cause I could still work and I was real happy to give it back so I could have my tone back.

From recent listening, I still prefer the sound of the Fender Showman Amp as a bass amp, the V4B as well but - if I stumbled on a Sceptre or a 200S I'd snag it for sure. There is nothing quite like a tube amp from the 60's or 70's in a low to moderate power setting. And the more of them around the house, the better I feel!

I'm suprised at the Weber speakers in your Univox cab. Ted does make a great driver but he seems to back off bass speakers... I have been thinking about builiding a sealed 4x10, basically 1/2 of the 'fridge cab to go with my V4B and he felt I should look elsewhere as in his words 'bass tends to require too much power'. ... wasn't really the answer I wanted to hear, but I have to admire his forthrightness and believe that if he is willing to turn down the business he must be sure. His speakers will be high on my list when I re-speaker my next guitar amp.

Oh yeah ... Congrats on the new rig. When You get used to that thick 'n' chewy vintage tube tone, you'll find it hard to go back to something more modern.

NonSequitr - are you still using the Rane EQ as your pre with the Bag Ends ?

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My intent when it was mine was to load these 2 cabinets with a Weber Michigan 12" and hi-power 8" each with a passive filter between. Ted was a big help, he really knows his stuff. I'm hoping to build one of his kit guitar combos some day when I've properly schooled myself in tube amp building / repairing.

[​IMG]

That head does sound killer, I played it all day the day Sean came to pick it up... almost told him to forget it.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I was kind of excited when I read that the Michigan 10 was based on the old EV SRO. I was thinking 4 of them in a sealed 4x10 based on 1/2 an SVT would be killer but Ted waved that idea off.

The other guy you want to talk with about kit's is Winnie Thomas. You can find him as 'zook' over at www.tdpri.com He has a very strong reputation over there. He'd be well worth chatting with.