1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pics of my Warmoth/Fender PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toad, May 1, 2006.

1. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I was taking some pictures of a couple of basses to sell and so I took some of my recent project bass which has become my #1. Just felt like sharing.

Body - Warmoth dinky J, routed PJ with the bridge set slightly back toward bridge, straight grained ash. Warmoth does great work.

Neck - Fender Geddy Lee. I love this neck and as thin as it is, it has been solid.

Finish - nitro done by Michael Dolan. He also cut the pickguard for me because Warmoth couldn't do it. Michael was really easy to work with and he delivered a beautiful finish.

Pups - Am Std Precision pup and SD hot stack J bridge pup wired to two stacked knobs V/T V/T. There's some issues in phasing if I start blending, but I usually go full on or just the P. Fat and growly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Icculus likes this.
  2. *splurge* Ah man that thing is a beauty.

Im just in the process of getting the funds together to make my own deluxe 5er (the first of my matching fretted and fretless twins, based on phil mulfords twin overwaters. Those things are the most beautiful basses I have ever seen)

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Wow. Beautiful.

4. debbandruss

debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    Toad Im curious, I thought Warmoth not only would cut pickguards like yours, but would do custom pickguards as well?

The quote from thier site is "Yes, we make all our pickguards right here, in house. This allows us to make it just
    the way you want it. We can cut for your choice of pickups, pots and switch holes!"

And BTW, Very nice Job!

5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the compliments folks. I don't know why, but I love that 70s look.

I thought so too. In fact, when I first talked to Warmoth to spec out the body, they said they would do it. But, Michael Dolan actually handled the order for me and he told me that they told him they couldn't do it because the positioning of the Precision pups along with the top routed dinky J body made it too difficult to get it right. I'm not sure, but he did a nice job.

6. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm going to put a finish like that on a guitar I'm refinishing soon. i've loved it ever since I saw it on a friend's strat.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I love it! Great choice! Hope your having fun with it

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Yeah, they say that, but that has not been my experience. They could not cut the p/g for my '51P, even tho they list it on thier website.

BTW, very nice bass!

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's a very cool bass! P/J's on a jazz body make for good looking instruments! :cool:

10. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed. And they sound good too! I was really tempted by the Reggie Hamilton bass, but then I already had the Geddy neck, so I figured I might as well get exactly what I want.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Very Nice!