Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics of the 30th Ann. StingRay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TSanders, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Just hoped to get some of the MusicMan fans excited. This pic is a proto. All mahogany body and stained birdseye maple neck, rosewood board. The official model will ahev a 30th Ann. logo, string through body bridge, and will have a chambered body.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Apparently has the Buzz Feiten Tuning System, as well.

3. Actually thats just what they at EBMM call a compensated nut. Supposed to help intonation. Started on the Bongo, but all new EBMM basses have it.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    A mahogany bodied Sting Ray? Now this should be interesting.
    I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't maple topped, though.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not really. They did themaple topped thing last time. Now its mahoganys turn. Whats the point of having a nice mahog body if you cover it up?

6. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, i love mahogany. It has a certain rich, creamy tone that no other wood can emulate. That looks like one sweet bass! I wish i could try one out.

7. I talked to Scott Ball today on the phone and he said "its the punchiest bass Ive ever heard". And thats a man who has had his hands on a few basses.

8. Will they have a 5 string version?

9. can i get one of those on my stingray?!

10. Are there any pics of the Black stingray with gold hardware? i think that one will look sweet.

p.s. Did they die the mahogany red? i thought mahogany was more of a brown color?

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Very interesting, as all the mahogany-bodied basses I've played I'd term as very "middy", perhaps the complete opposite of "punchy".

Still, quite the looker. :D

12. what is the diffirence in that and a normal nut ?

13. i don't know..."punchy" to me is more of a good bottom sound...and given the scooped-out, snarly characteristics of the typical 'ray, I think the combination of a mahogany body would indeed be "punchy"....think P-bass on 'roids.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They really should do something more imaginative for the anniversary editions. The 20th was getting clsoe to "something special", but the others are just plain boring.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would imagine a nice piano like tone.

16. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    +1. This 30th Ann. Stingray looks like a plain ole' regular Stingray. I'm not impressed.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree. So they changed the wood and stained the neck.

Woopee.

I woulda liked to see some really interesting inlay, perhaps a clean fingerboard save an inlay on the 12th, a unique pickguard, really nice knobs.

18. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Im just curious, I dont know much about Stingray's but I do know they came out with a double mm ray'. So my question is why doesnt this new Anniversary model have the double mm's?

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guess is that the model is celebrating the anniversary of the original stingray model, and to add the humbucker would be blasphemous.

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you look close, the fingerboard side has varying depth cutouts on the nut where the G string is effectively a teensy bit longer than the D, which is a teensy bit longer than the A, which...

Obviously, it only affects open notes, but it's also used in the BFTS, so it supposedly does help.