1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pics of the black Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stereo Joe, May 5, 2010.

1. Does anyone have (or mind taking) some pictures of the new black Walkabout head? I've only been able to find some small, low resolution pics online. Most of the pics are of the silver-face Walkabouts.

I'm trying to decide if the aesthetic appeal is worth me waiting to get a black Walkabout instead of one of the widely available used silver-faced versions.

Pics can be sent to: joehincke AT gmail DOT com. Thanks in advance!

While I'm on the topic of the Walkabout, how do the black knobs feel (for those of you who own one)? I remember playing with a silver Walkabout in a store years ago and really disliking the feel of the knobs. They felt wobbly and fragile to me. Are the black knobs more solid-feeling?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder what the issue could have been with the old knobs? I have two of the silver-knobbed Walkabouts and the knobs feel as sturdy as any amp I've ever owned...They are set-screw knobs, so it's possible that somebody had removed them and not tightened them sufficiently when putting them back on (this might also suggest that the amp had been worked on at some point as well, or maybe just that the knobs had been switched out at some point).

I know Chef has posted a couple pictures of his black-faced Walkabout in the Walkabout mega-threads...

Karl

3. Thanks for the info, Karl! Any idea which Walkabout mega-thread might contain the pics? There's a lot of content to sift through. :meh:

And it's good to hear about the knobs. I tried the Walkabout years ago in a store, so the amp may have been abused to point of having loose-feeling knobs. I guess now I finally have no excuses left for not owning a Walkabout... :smug:

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I actually prefer the silver-faced, knurled metal knobs, over the new black plastic ones. As Chef has pointed out, the black plastic knobs have a white line that's easy to see on stage, but to me, a dab of black or red paint on the metal knobs serves the same purpose, and has the advantage of being metal, over plastic.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I prefer the knurled metal knobs and would have kept them on the new blackface (but in anodized black of course). The black looks, suave, mean and clean IMHO.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went and searched the 2nd Megathread for "black", and here ya go:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7904531&postcount=149
    I'm sure he probably has some more floating around as well.
    As far as the new black plastic knobs- I had these on my Mesa Carbine and liked them just fine. I think they fit the aesthetic of the amp well, and are plenty sturdy. The plastic vs. metal issue wouldn't amount to much unless you dropped the amp directly onto the knobs somehow (which would likely bend the pots as well)!