pics of these woods combos?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Apr 7, 2005.

1. i'm saving up to have a stambaugh doublecut 5 string bolt on. i just spoke with chris and he suggested some wood combos for the sound i'm going for. i like my sound to be a bit heavy in the low mid. he suggested african mahogany for the body, a walnut top (my choice), maple neck, and either a maple or macassar ebony board.

anyone have similar wood combos the demonstrate the aesthetic of the proposed woods? thanks in advance!
  2. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I got your walnut on mahogany, right here! :bassist:

you'll have to forgive the rosewood board on this one :smug:

And yes, the basses above have nice, grunty low mids. :D
  3. The walnut and ebony looks superb but I think the orange tone of the mahogany clashes with the neutral brown of the walnut. I've got to say though the walnut on that second bass is some of the nicest I've seen.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Wenge Neck!!
    Wenge is one of the best woods for low mids, IME.
    And Rosewood or wenge fingerboard would yeild the best results, IMHO
    I bet it'll sound awesome!!
  5. i really like that first one ;)
  6. thanks guys... anymore wood suggestions?
  7. OMG!!!! WAL's!!!! *gets major gas*
    The first is is one sexy fretless but
    the 2nd one is SUPER UBER SEXY!!!
    WHY?! WHYYYYYYYY?!!!!! :help:
  8. I don't have any pics of these wood combos but I have a stambaugh on order and should have it in a few weeks. There are a few players on TB with these basses and everyone of them love their stammies! Chris is awesome about getting you the sound you want and picking some sweet woods. I constantly hear how light his basses are even for the woods used because he gets great pieces that are very musical. You're going to love your bass!
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played several basses made by Chris Stambaugh where he used Mahogany as the body wood (with a different top). IMO, many luthiers have their "signature" woods, those that they're particularly good with, and I belive Mahogany is Chris' "signature".

I've played many basses by other luthiers who don't know what to do with Mahogany and it sounds like Mush. Chris, OTOH, really does a fantastic job with this wood. You'll be amazed!:D
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't really agree with kyattkat on the clashing issue, but Koa could be used in place of the Walnut. Koa has more reddish overtones and looks great with Mohag.
    On a non thread related note: Hippiesandwich, you need to open up a freakin' museum or something and start charging admission for tours. You are a strait PIMP!!
  11. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.

Here's a previously posted progress picture of my (now finished) Stambaugh.
    It's got a Walnut top & back over a Spanish Cedar core.
    The Spanish Cedar was Chris' recommendation.
    I also went with Aero p-ups & a Bart Pre.

I cannot put into words how happy I am and how highly I recommend Chris' work.

Good luck!