Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics Of Unique Fretless Fretlines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How about posting some images of fretless fretlines that go beyond the standard all-maple lines? Here's a beautiful Thompson tribute bass built by Darrin Huff with maple and purpleheart lines.
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a Bob Frenz with partial purpleheart (?) lines and an unlined center strip.
    [​IMG]

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    The lined/unlined thing is kinda neat. I've always though unlined looks much "classier" but that one more or less keeps with the clean look. Now that body on the other hand... :D

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Les Claypool's Rainbow Bass made my Carl Thompson :D ;)

[​IMG]

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [​IMG]

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's a beautiful instrument - the whole combination of the woods, lines and the overall curves of the design is highly aesthetically pleasing to me.

I'm not so keen on the CTish stripy basses... a bit too garish for my tastes, although the purple heart neck by Bob Frenz looked quite appealing.

Wulf

7. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    She really is beautiful.. I was mesmerized when I first saw her. They are fretlines and not frets you say? Positive?

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Definitely fretlines:

a) It would be hard to play an instrument with such an uneven pattern of partial frets - you'd be bending a note only to find it choking on the edge of a fret!

b) There's a lot of light and reflectivity off the surfaces in the pictures. They'd have to be very low and not very shiny to look so flat.

Wulf

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Who made the angular bass? It's quite beautiful. Here's TB member Mattewfoote's Sei with black-stained sycamore fretlines:

[​IMG]

10. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Beautiful bass ruined ...

edit (jt) : someone has a problem with "respect for all members" obviously. if this problem persists, there's going to be trouble.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    the one with the curve o' half-fretlines, what is it and where do i get one????

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    it's pagelli if I remember right
    visit www.pagelli.com

It's gonna cost ya!..

And there is a golden one as well but this one beats the crap out of the other

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Pagelli

One you get to the English basses page, click "more basses" to get past the Splash bass and into the good stuff.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's Embellisher's Zon with redwood lines. Very subtle.
    [​IMG]

15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I remember a while ago, one of us TB'ers had the idea for a fretless with LED fretlines. He built a small portion of a neck with a single LED in it and it didn't look great. But someone suggested that he try it with some sort of LED that went all the way through the fretline. Someone should do this, I think I'll post this idea on Luthier's Corner. It would look cool.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my 6 string Curbow Petite with black rockwood fretlines on a black rockwood 'board.

And, to think I almost sold this thing....

whew....

[​IMG]

17. :bawl:

;)

Matthew

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    [​IMG]

you can sorta see in this pic the bubinga lines in my fretless 8. they're only on the highest octave of the neck, from the 24th to the 36th fret.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just found this Ritter on the Low End's website. It has lines mimicking vibrato.
    [​IMG]

20. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC