1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pics of worn high-end basses $1500+

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I haven't seen very many pictures of high basses with significant wear, other than vintage fenders. I am kind of curious as to how some of these basses take the weather. Everybody knows how fenders end up, but what about all the others? No custom shop pre distressed basses, just natural wear.

Bryan

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Have a look at Vic's foderas

3. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Any good pics?, I'd like to see

4. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Wooten's first Fodera..

[​IMG]

5. i love that bass soooo much.
    just shows how much he give into playing bass.

6. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    ...just shows that he needs to be more sparing with that thumpity-plunkity crap and get down to groove-laying. :bag: :D

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    les claypool's carl thompson has some gnar thumb wear as well, the woods actually worn down in some places.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i know that was tongue in cheek, but if you listen to his stuff with bela fleck then you will realise that victor spends most of his time "groove-laying". Some TB'ers seem to think that double thumbing and plucking is all he ever does.

9. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    This is so true . . . Victor Wooten, ESPECIALLY when with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, is a groovemaster, and only does super-impressive slapping/tapping stuff for solo breaks. He's a much more well-rounded bassist than his solo albums would have you believe . . . I saw them play live, and man did he drive the band . . . and he DIDN'T play "Amazing Grace". They were with Keller Williams, and at the end of the concert, they played a bluegrass rendition of "Funkytown", which was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen.

10. Word,Vic knows how to lay the groove!I have seen him numerous times.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I too would love to see high end basses with some nice wear love on them:D

12. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    The pic dosnt really capture it but my warwick which is fairly high end i guess (in the uk anyway) has some pretty good wear, the dark area above the humbucker has actually become a dent worn into the body by two or three mill, and the area infront of the board on the upper bout is also down through the finish from slapping, the body has rake marks from my nails where i 'missed' the bass, another gouge is visible above one of the pots and there is two other stripped through areas above the humbucker, slightly nearer the bridge
    100_0511.

13. Dang! I just got the dunlop guitar care kit and head to toed both my axes! Took all the stickers off (except the "cruelly tested on animals" one) and cleaned about 10 years of grunge off of each. My Magnum is still pretty beat. It has a whopper of a ding in the neck from when a door fell on it 8 years ago. I've pretty much worn the finish off on side of it. And teh aluminum parts are all pretty nasty. The frets are a little chewed, but it still has a great bite!

14. Awesome thread. Makes me feel better about the wear appearing on my bass. Now it all just seems "natural" lol, no matter what bass you have.

I've seen some photos of an Fbass with some wear on it floating around. With that Nitro coating on them, you'd think more people would abuse them like old Fenders.

15. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Back to Wooten for a sec. For some solid grooves, pick up the Bela Fleck "Live at the Quick" DVD. Simply brilliant, especially the horns....

16. True, Victor a groovy guy,but.........The wear on the bass is clearly from the "thumpity-plunkity" stuff. I only say this because it illustrated how PHYSICAL the "thumpity-plunkity"stuff realy is. I'd do it if I could,but I just ain't that much of a man .

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    I last saw Victors first Fod in the bass extremes video and it wasnt so damn abused. And at that time he already had some other Fods like the trenor with the mini ying yang logo.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think what you're calling abuse, I'd call honest player wear. :confused: Stuff like that reminds me of a broken in baseball glove, or a nice worn pair of Levi's. :D I'd post some pics of my old Fender, but I guess that doesn't count as "high end" :rolleyes:

19. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I'd call it a combination of both. You ever seen him live?

He throws the Fodera across the stage and drags it back by a string! :eek: :bawl:

20. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    There is nothing wrong with old Fenders, there have just been a lot of threads about them.

Vic's fodera is cool. Just seeing him play you know he causes some serious wear. I would like to know how often he needs fretwork done.

Anymore pics?

Bryan